Announcement Streaming Mess

I LOVE RAGBRAI, but this streaming of the route announcement is awful. It stuttered forever, but then it jumped back to the recorded event about 15 minutes back, so I had to watch all the same thing again!

Please, this event has happened for 44 years, spend enough money to buy a decent internet pipeline, gear, and please better production values.

I am in TV, not in Iowa, but I do know plenty of TV people in Iowa can do better than this.

Very disappointing for such a cool and important event. I am not knocking RAGBRAI – I live and breathe it – but RAGBRAI deserves better representation on this live event!

Ride On!

22 Replies

kiowahog, January 21, 2017 at 9:39 pm

I agree, absolutely horrible production. Very amateurish. These guys should stick to their print media.

Groeny82, January 21, 2017 at 9:39 pm

Agreed. The stuttering was very annoying but at least tolerable. Then sure enough right before the towns were announced all hell broke loose. Disappointing that I was more frustrated about that than excited about the route.

garider, January 21, 2017 at 9:44 pm

Feed was perfect on Facebook live. I switched there from main RAGBRAI page

igor, January 21, 2017 at 10:11 pm

I watched on Facebook Live too and no issues.

Groeny82, January 21, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Well that’s unfortunate. I wish I would have thought of that.

trombonebiker, January 22, 2017 at 12:01 pm

I totally agree. It was a hot mess. The commentators were amateurish at best. They were awful at filling time. I heard one town, then the stream froze. 30 seconds later there were 5 towns showing in the video. What? An email with all the pertinent info would be best. We could then forward that to our club members.

Why hasn’t the RAGBRAI site been updated with the info about this year’s ride yet? That could have been done ahead of time.

KenH, January 22, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Well, I got nothing via the website but that is my lousy internet connection so I can’t blame the Register for that.

So I attempted to watch the party on Facebook live. Well known national carrier, 4G LTE, Chicago metro area and live within eyesight of the tower. And I got a herky-jerky video feed that stopped often, jumped backwards, and made everyone who talked sound like they stuttered. The content was obviously what can we do to fill 45 minutes before the big announcement grade stuff. But the people are nice, the things they were talking about were worthwhile so I endured. I endured the pre-announcement awards ceremony which probably would have been much more impressive had I been better able to tell who was being honored and for what but that was barely possible given the quality of the video feed.

At last the big announcement came and … and … and … NOTHING! All I got was a blank screen and I could not reconnect until halfway through the rehash of the route by the two young Jedis. And I had missed so much that the rehash was mostly incomprehensible. There was a woman holding a map but I could only make out a couple of town names because they never zoomed in while I was watching.

For me it was just an exercise in frustration. It was a total bust. I can’t come to the party in person and I won’t bother with this again in the future. The Register has no obligation to give us a video stream or to fix all of our ISP issues for us (although I can’t say that I have anything like these issues with other events I try to watch). But if they see any value in drawing us outsiders in then PLEASE offer some low bandwidth options for those of us who experience these issues with the video stream in the future. I would really be fine with just the audio feed and my guess is that would present fewer issues and work for almost everyone. Every year I follow the Tour using a real time internet blog that is the modern equivalent of standing around a mid 20th century news wire machine and reading reports as they came in. That is a charming experience actually and I’d be delighted to have one for the route announcement party.

But if they can’t do something to give us all a usable connection to the party in real time next year I won’t even bother. I’ll just wait to read about it later in the week. I can get far more information about the route today off this forum than I was able to get yesterday!!

klkoopman, January 22, 2017 at 12:42 pm

It was a terribly frustrating experience. Next year I’ll kick it old school and read about it online the next morning.

bentjay, January 22, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Well, I thought it was just my setup. I have watched the live announcement for the past four years and this year’s was the disaster that others noted above. I tried four different devices and tried to stream over AppleTV, and all I saw was the various awards all “perky jerky” freezing and such and when the announcement came I had nothing for 5 minutes. I did see the end of the line up so I got about only 1% of what I had wanted to share so many riders around the country and elsewhere – the buildup and excitement. Too bad!

rbsailorman, January 22, 2017 at 2:24 pm

I had the same problem with streaming stopping and starting, but Kudos to BikeIowa on Twitter. I was getting it from them before the live feed showed it, that’s how bad it was.

Mike Murphy, January 22, 2017 at 4:14 pm

I had an announcement party with 30 people attending, several of whom this will be their first Ragbrai. I had my computer connected to my TV so we could all watch and right before the towns should have been announced the feed skipped back to the interview of the retired state tropper who is now the cheif of dennison. Then it froze and the next thing up was 6 towns already announced. I tried to convince the newbies that Ragbrai really does know what it is doing, but I am sure they didn’t start out being impressed. Next year I will hook my TV up to Facebook and not the Ragbrai live-stream. We had a similar problem last year but not near as bad. I am ok with the announcers, I don’t expect Bob Costas to do this event but I do expect some sort of reliable feed.

Gypsy Rose, January 22, 2017 at 7:09 pm

I gave up within the first few minutes.

Advice to DMR: Either invest in the expertise and platform to do it right, or don’t attempt it. Better to just offer an old-school blog post than to frustrate those of us who thought we’d watch the announcement live.

That said, I can’t wait to travel to Iowa in July!

Cheers,
~ Kevin

Brian Wallenburg, January 22, 2017 at 8:00 pm

No troubles in NW Iowa, Facebook Live connected to Apple TV.

jwsknk, January 23, 2017 at 8:24 am

the stream has been like that for a few years. It seemed fine earlier but the closer the announcement got, the worse it got. This year the facebook live was better. Conspiracy to sell tickets? If I believed in such things, yes.

beaglebaby, January 23, 2017 at 1:23 pm

well i am glad to see we were not the only ones with issues, my wife attempted to watch from our home and i did from a hotel room in san diego, best we could get was from LTE on our phones, ipad and real computer over internet was use less attempt. disappointing.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI