Announcement Streaming Mess

I LOVE RAGBRAI, but this streaming of the route announcement is awful. It stuttered forever, but then it jumped back to the recorded event about 15 minutes back, so I had to watch all the same thing again!

Please, this event has happened for 44 years, spend enough money to buy a decent internet pipeline, gear, and please better production values.

I am in TV, not in Iowa, but I do know plenty of TV people in Iowa can do better than this.

Very disappointing for such a cool and important event. I am not knocking RAGBRAI – I live and breathe it – but RAGBRAI deserves better representation on this live event!

Ride On!

22 Replies

KRIS, January 23, 2017 at 2:58 pm

The online experience I had was one of my worst ever. The medium that the register used to stream the event totally ruined my viewing experience and left me much more frustrated than excited for the route. Rgabrai makes more than enough money to hire a reputable online streaming company. Additionally, the two commentators were simply embarrassing. It was clear that they had never done anything like this before. It seems pretty easy to me to find an actual TV reporter to moonlight for an event such as this heck they would probably do it for free. I am looking forward to July as always but I hope T.J. and the committee fixes this…..PEOPLE ARE WATCHING (or trying to).

mootsman, January 24, 2017 at 6:56 am

According to these responses there is a solution already out there for streaming, stream via Facebook live. That seems to have worked well and is what I’ll do next year.

The commentators I thought were great. I like that they are not polished pros and are real RAGBRAI people. The perfect broadcasters for the feeling of small-town Iowa.

An estimated time when the actual announcement would be a nice addition. Our team was streaming at a bar and knowing when we should pay closer attention to the screen would be great.

Mike Murphy, January 26, 2017 at 5:21 pm

Kinda disappointed that we haven’t gotten any response from Ragbrai on this issue. I have noticed where TJ has responded to other threads when he feels something or someone is wrong. I would hope they would acknowledge the problem they had with the live stream and if they plan on addressing it in the future. I know that I will probably not host another party and have my guests disappointed like all of us where this year.

mootsman, January 26, 2017 at 6:47 pm

Don’t give up murphymp, the others on this thread said the Facebook live streaming of the RAP had no issues.

TJ Juskiewicz, January 26, 2017 at 8:33 pm

murph -you are correct.. live stream had issues once we had tens of thousands of people on, the facebook live was almost flawless,,,, we can do better.. Thanks for tuning in

KenH, January 27, 2017 at 8:52 am

Facebook Live was no solution for some of us. It crashed just as you were about to announce the towns and would not reconnect for me until well after the announcement was over. I had to rely on information in emails from friends to get the whole town list in something close to real time. It was probably half an hour or more before I got confirmation on the RAGBRAI website and Facebook. Even before the crash the Facebook Live feed was only marginally watchable lots of dropouts, loop backs, freezes…

I have no idea why it would work so well for some and nearly not at all for others but I would far prefer a simple low bandwidth audio only stream or a real time blog poster (did Andrea have anything to do during the announcement? hint, hint) to anything I have been able to get from any of your video feeds the last three years.

RDaryl Daryl, January 27, 2017 at 12:27 pm

It was my understanding that they were also tweeting the towns live.
If timing is really urgent, another option is to find a friend who is present at the event who can text you the info. Note some of TJ’s on-stage announcements (Gravel Loop Day, Century Loop day, Commemorative Days, & awards) were not shown on the live stream.

Viewing 7 replies - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI