RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

another Medical problem

Today while loading my trike into my car, I tore the ligament in my left arm from my bicep! I heard a loud snap. It hurt like hell!!! I spent the afternoon in the ER, getting MRI. Anyway, I have a 10:00 am appointment with the surgeon tomorrow. Then it’s on to surgery at Noon! So much for RAGBRAI training! I’m still planning on riding RAGBRAI, possible!!!!

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!!

39 Replies

SFC JKL 2, April 3, 2017 at 9:13 pm

You’re just going to have to hire a beer assistant. Good thing you got that trike because you can drive that thing with one hand. At least you’ll have some time to heal.
Best wishes.

Michrider !!!, April 4, 2017 at 2:23 pm

Nerve block has worn off. It was nice while it lasted. Does that mean I’ve too much nerve or not enough? Surgeon said rehab will take 3-4 months!!!
Thanks for all the good thoughts everyone!!!!
BTW RAGBRAI don’t care!!!!

Jboz, April 4, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Mich – the good news is that with the trike you actually have very little pressure on your wrists and arms. They are used to steer and brake, but don’t function as “load bearing”. In fact, in 2014 my then 16 year old son and his buddy were going to ride with me. 2 weeks before the ride, the buddy broke his elbow and was in a cast. He was heartbroken that he wouldn’t be able to do RAGBRAI…that’s when I suggested that he borrow one of my trikes, which he did. He rode every mile, every day with a broken right elbow.

iveaux3, April 4, 2017 at 5:52 pm

Get an elbow brace and ride on during rehab!!

Michrider !!!, April 5, 2017 at 10:31 am

iveaux3: Get an elbow brace and ride on during rehab!!

Thanks, I will discuss with my surgeon & therapist!!!

mootsman, April 6, 2017 at 7:00 am

Sounds like you need to consider buying a trailer for the trike…. I’m guessing the doc said the more you use it the quicker it will heal so ride on.

T. Gap Woo, April 6, 2017 at 9:26 am

Geez Louise, Michrider! Have you considered going for the “Michelin Man” look — covering yourself in bubble wrap? Between Lefty 2.0, Lefty 2.1, falling off the bike and now this, you ought to give this some consideration.

But seriously, Mich. I saw something yesterday that should serve as an inspiration to all, whether you ride a bike or not. While taking pictures from a bench on a “road” overlooking a flood-swollen creek, dam and mill-wheel, I heard a noise behind me. I turned to look and saw a bicyclist on his Trek. The gentleman was in his mid-forties, properly helmeted and decked out in his biking finery. A seemingly normal sight, right? Then I noticed the sunlight reflecting off of the two steel prostheses attached to his knees. He was a double amputee, yet he did not let that stop him. He rode by before I had a chance to talk with him, much to my regret.

This experience reminded me of a saying that Daddy Woo taught me years ago: “I complained because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet.”

Stay safe and get well quickly, Michrider. Listen to the doctors. I hope to see you along the I-O-Way in July.

BTW, Ragbrai DOES care!

jelly0317, April 6, 2017 at 3:41 pm

Years ago on RAGBRAI, a double-amputee captained a tandem with a blind stoker.

John Fontaine, April 7, 2017 at 5:16 am

Mich,
I think you should still come on out even if you can’t ride. We’ll all meet you on the curb! Get well soon!!

Michrider !!!, April 7, 2017 at 8:27 am

John Fontaine: Mich,
I think you should still come on out even if you can’t ride. We’ll all meet you on the curb! Get well soon!!

Great idea, but right now I’d have a problem getting up from that Kurb!!!
BTW, RAGBAI don’t care!!!!

Ken, April 7, 2017 at 1:50 pm

With your new 559 you have a built in curb! You can stay in that seat all day!

Ken

Papa T, April 8, 2017 at 8:35 am

Hey T Gap! “I cried cuz I had no shoes, and then I saw a man who had no feet.” So I took his shoes! It’s called problem solving. See you , Mitch and the ever lovely Princess in O City in a few short months.

tjdale57, April 8, 2017 at 3:51 pm

Biceps tendon repair + under seat steering trike = RAGBRAI 2017 should be fine as long as you limit your lifting.

Michrider !!!, April 8, 2017 at 6:32 pm

On Tuesday, I return to see my surgeon. I’m sure I’ll be starting PT soon thereafter!!! I’ll follow the advice of surgeon & PT. Hopefully, I’ll be able to ride soon!!!

Gypsy Rose, April 8, 2017 at 6:45 pm

Look, Ma, no hands!

Cheers,
~ Kevin

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters