The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Another Pie Thread

I’m a sucker for a good strawberry rhubarb pie and I’ll stop at every single stand selling one but the holidays have reminded me how much I like pumpkin pie piled high with whipped cream. I never see pumpkin pie on the route (sad face), or pecan pie either. I don’t think we should discriminate against these “holiday pies” on RAGBRAI. I guess I’ll have to bake my own pumpkin pie so I can have a slice each day when I get to camp. Or maybe Tender Tom’s can start selling pumpkin pie with their turkey legs? Thanksgiving in July. I like the sound of that.

3 Replies

T. Gap Woo, December 5, 2018 at 8:34 pm

[quote quote=1297130]I’m a sucker for a good strawberry rhubarb pie and I’ll stop at every single stand selling one but the holidays have reminded me how much I like pumpkin pie

I wholeheartedly concur with your fondness for strawberry rhubarb pie! It’s particularly good with a huge mound of hit-and-miss churned vanilla ice cream on top. I can hear those engines a mile away and know that the Amish pie ladies are also nearby. It’s one of my gustatory highlights on Ragbrai.

Mrs Woo makes a delicious strawberry rhubarb pie, as well as other pies. Granddaughter Woo is in training for Ragbrai 60 or 61. She’s just turned 4, can pedal her tricycle all over creation and has already won a pedal-tractor pull at the local county fair. She can already demolish a piece of pumpkin pie and says it’s her favorite pie.

BTW, Santa Maria Winery of Carroll IA produces Rhuby Dooby, a strawberry rhubarb wine that we enjoy when the pie fixins are not available at the local farm stands. Since strawberry rhubarb wine is not available where we live, regardless of winery, we stock up every year during Ragbrai week.

Gee, now I’m hungry for a piece of pie a la mode. Later this evening, I’ll get a bottle of Rhuby Dooby from the wine fridge and drink a toast to Ragbrai.

I’ll see you along the I-O-Way next year.

tacook, December 9, 2018 at 7:04 pm

I search each RAGBRAI for gooseberry pie…mmmmmm

Groeny82, December 9, 2018 at 8:25 pm

I might make it a mission to try different pies next year, even if it means multiple pieces at one stop. Shoot. Never had gooseberry before, and I saw at least one other that I have never had.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013