RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

Any ’73 through riders riding L?

I just registered for my 2nd RAGBRAI. My other one was in 1973. I’m wondering if there are other veterans of the first ride going this year.

This topic was modified 1 year ago by Kelley PM.

4 Replies

Jason, May 18, 2023 at 10:22 am

It’s great to hear that you are a veteran of ’73 and are going to ride again this year. I’d love to see some kind of recognition given to riders from ’73 on this year’s ride.

I’m a veteran from ’74 and continuing. I know there are several of us who are still riding RAGBRAI. I’ve enjoyed running across them the past few years and swapping stories.

Kelley PM, May 18, 2023 at 2:20 pm

Jason, I’ve been away from Iowa for almost all of these 50 years. I would like to ‘swap yarns’ with early ride veterans. Hear the stories and see what common memories we might have.

Do you know if there are established ways that one ’73 (for example) veteran might pick another out of what promises to be a VERY large crowd? I could display my ’73 patch, I guess, if it’s fairly unique. (I’m amazed I haven’t lost it.) Your ’74 patch caught my eye. It looks almost identical to mine. Do you know how many years this design was used?

I would look forward to meeting while we’re ‘out wandering around’. Cheers

This reply was modified 1 year ago by Kelley PM.

Matt, May 18, 2023 at 2:52 pm

That is so awesome to hear that some veterans are still out there on the ride.
Maybe instead of VIRGIN you could write 73 VET or whatever year on your calves? Since you’ve been away for 49 years, a tradition developed for newbies to write VIRGIN on their calves in permanent marker so people could identify, encourage, welcome, support, etc. them.
73 and 74 were the only years with patches that looked like that. Every year after was a unique design.
Can’t wait to see you out there.

This reply was modified 1 year ago by Matt.

tcoffman, May 22, 2023 at 12:48 pm

I have great 85-88 stories. My father did all the early ones so I have most of the patches up to the mid 90’s.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters