Any challenges with wireless bike computers?

This 49 and 1/2 year old virgin started wondering if his wireless bike computer will have any challenges/problems on RAGBRAI? I have ridden other day events and it has never had a problem with interference, but there weren’t 10,000 plus chances for a problem. Thanks for any help.
I’m California living but, Hawkeye at heart and heading home. for a week at least.

4 Replies

hnschipper, July 2, 2019 at 9:52 pm

I’ve never had any issues with my wireless computer.

Brady Bisgard, July 3, 2019 at 9:27 am

They’re powered by GPS so they should be perfectly reliable no matter the crowd!

Jonathan Jones, July 3, 2019 at 3:38 pm

[quote quote=1307158]They’re powered by GPS so they should be perfectly reliable no matter the crowd![/quote]

All computers are not GPS-based. Speed and Cadence sensors transmit wirelessly to the computer head unit. Both ANT+ and Bluetooth seem to be reliable even in a large crowd. As long as your devices are paired before you wade into a throng of other transmitting devices, you should be good.

KenH, July 3, 2019 at 3:50 pm

GPS is a broadcast system so there will be no issues with GPS functionality, as many users as can fit on the Earth can use it all at the same time without issues.

These days some bike computers make use of the cell phone system. RAGBRAI will bring the local cell systems to their knees. Don’t count on any cell phone based functionality being available during RAGBRAI week.

On bike sensors and other wireless accessories could potentially suffer from interference from the mass of other riders using the same frequencies. I have never seen this potential become a reality however. If there is interference it is rare and/or brief enough to not cause any noticeable service degradation. There are scores of wireless accessories that I have never used on RAGBRAI however. Bluetooth headsets, speakers, etc, etc, etc. I have never seen issues with speed/cadence/heart rate/power sensors. I have no experience with other consumer wireless accessories that people may use on this ride.

All of the electronics issues I have ever had at RAGBRAI have been common to the devices in use. Software lockups, wired connection issues, dead batteries, and others that happen just as frequently when I am riding alone as when I am at RAGBRAI.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI