Join Us in July - Register Today!

Any intel on official campground sites at host cities?

We know that Sioux City’s official campgrounds are going to be in Chris Larsen Park and Riverside Park. Unregistered riders will be at Cook Park. The bike expo will be at the Tyson Events Center and the adjacent parking lot.

Any details on other host towns???

46 Replies

HereForThePie, March 12, 2023 at 9:25 pm

City of Des Moines has shared that the main campground will be at Water Works Park.

CharlesHatfield, March 13, 2023 at 7:52 am

S.T. Morrison Park will be the main campground for Coralville.

From City of Coralville website:
“Coralville will welcome riders coming in from Tama/Toledo on Friday, July 28, and will usher them to Davenport to finish their journey. Exact details of the route will be announced at a later date. S.T. Morrison Park will serve as the hub for camping and entertainment.”

HereForThePie, March 13, 2023 at 4:04 pm

I heard back from Ames in case anyone else is curious. The majority of their set up will resemble 2018. So campsites will be near Jack Trice Stadium as well as Brookside Park. This year, to account for anticipated crowds, they will be adding campgrounds in south and west Ames. Festivities will take place downtown Ames just as they did in 2018.

Uncle Kraig, March 13, 2023 at 4:15 pm

Chris Larsen Park and Riverside Park are a fair distance from each other, especially when you are riding with all your gear on your back in a back pack. So, I am wondering which of those two is the “main campground” which is designated in each town as to where the RAGBRAI baggage truck will be? There are numerous campgrounds in each town but there is only one “main campground.” Anybody know which is the main campground in Sioux City? In 2015 it was Chris Larsen park and I’m hoping it is again just looking to confirm if I can.

HereForThePie, March 13, 2023 at 8:56 pm

I would be really surprised if the Sioux City main campground is anywhere other than Chris Larsen Park. They’re wrapping up an expansion of the park and it’s much closer to the bike expo. Consider reaching out to the city directly.

LawnchairMan, March 13, 2023 at 11:09 pm

I too would expect the main campground to be in Larson Park close to the Expo, but looking at the new route map it looks like the main campground will be at Riverside. Were it at Larsen, the route should start to the North, but instead it starts to the East. I know the map is extremely rudimentary, but it also shows the route to be away from the river. Larson is right next to it.
And, my guess is that six thousand of us are charter members / home stays, so that leaves about eleven thousand main camp users. Is Larson Park big enough? I am eager to learn.

This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by LawnchairMan.

HereForThePie, March 14, 2023 at 12:08 am

Good catch. You may be right about that. It’s difficult to fully gauge from a map that’s so zoomed out but that’s a good educated guess based on what they provided us. That said, it shows a straight line east out of Sioux City but there is no such arterial on the map that maintains a strictly eastward projection in a straight line. The closest thing to that might be War Eagle Dr out of Riverside Park which bends to become W 4th Street and then that road turns into 6th Street downtown. If the route starts at Riverside then that’s the most logical route. Maybe a left onto Floyd to head northbound?

LawnchairMan, March 14, 2023 at 8:28 am

Yes, I think it is War Eagle and 4th street making the first eastward leg, then turning north on Hamilton. That avoids the downward tilt of 6th street, and Hamilton was the way we went in ’15. The turn onto Outer Drive is slightly more that a 90° which would tally with the map. There would be a little jog getting onto Floyd Blvd and then a right onto D12.
For your information, be careful getting onto D12. In 2015 the railroad tracks took out 700 riders. Hopefully it is more bike friendly by now.

brownSys, March 25, 2023 at 9:30 pm

Like Uncle Kraig. I am interested to know where the main (official) ragbrai campground will be.

It would be great to be able to identify (at least approximately) where the location of the official ragbrai (heartland express) truck will be in Sioux city prior to departure. I will be traveling in a rental vehicle, setting up camp near the official truck, returning my rental, and then cycling back to the campsite that day.

As you can imagine it would be very beneficial to be able to plan my routes ahead of time especially considering that cell phone data can’t be counted upon.

If anyone has any further insight on the camp location for the official ragbrai truck I would appreciate the input as well.

LawnchairMan, March 26, 2023 at 8:29 am

This is what I wrote to Ragbrai:
“Could you tell me where the main campground will be in Sioux City this year?
There is a lot of speculation that I would like to put to rest.
I know all will be revealed in time, but I’ve got the fever and can’t wait.”

This is the reply I got on 3/16/23:
“We can’t share that information quite yet, but will be able to soon! Please let me know if you have any other questions.”

While here, I want to make some corrections.
it’s Fourth Street that has a downward tilt east of Hamilton not Sixth.
Hamilton and Outer Drive look like a 90° intersection.

Danny Edens, March 28, 2023 at 9:25 pm

Ragbrai® tends to like to reuse old plans from previous years. Baggage truck at the boat dock at Chris Larsen park it a likely bet especially if entertainment is at the Tyson Event center. That being said Riverside Park would have more room. Chris Larsen park has had construction that removed roads and will make the area much more congested and unaccessible.

HereForThePie, March 30, 2023 at 12:56 pm

It looks like Chris Larsen Park IS the main campground again in Sioux City. Here’s a map that is up on their website.

HereForThePie, March 30, 2023 at 1:04 pm

Carroll’s main campground will be the high school. FYI.

Uncle Kraig, March 30, 2023 at 1:42 pm

Hereforthepie – Thanks for the message, I did see that last night. That’s great and it will make for a nice short ride to the baggage truck, only about a mile, with my bag on my back on Sunday morning. You mention Carroll high school…..same question, that is the main campground with the baggage trucks I assume? Thanks again.

Suzanne Barron, March 30, 2023 at 2:32 pm

1st time rider: When I arrive in the overnite town, get my bag, go to the campground…are tent sites marked? I guess my etiquette question is: Do I squish in b/w 2 tents, or go to the “back” of the campground to find a site? And if there are multiple campgrounds, how will I know if one is full before going to the other? I have this vision of wandering aimlessly (“Ames”-lessly?? haha!) looking for a site, and collapsing not from the ride, but from the heat and wandering distance.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters