The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Any swim parks at overnight towns?

I enjoyed the great public swim parks in some overtime towns in past rides. Will there be any on this trip?

10 Replies

cyduke, April 6, 2018 at 1:55 pm

Ames has a really nice one on 13th street, near the ISU campus, and the high school.

stuckinmizzou, April 6, 2018 at 3:59 pm

All the overnight towns have swimming pools.

Larry Klaaren, April 7, 2018 at 9:51 am

I took swimming lessons at Sigourney’s swimming pool. It was the only public one for miles around in the 60’s. Been a while so things may have changed, but it was a fun thing to remember. I am probably the only person ever to flunk swimming lessons. I am looking forward to the ride from Ames to Iowa City. I have played basketball or worked in several of the towns we will pass through, and have cousins in a few of them. I also took my post graduate schooling in Ames. After we go through Montezuma, watch the farmsteads on the south side of the road for a barn that is either six or eight sided. I think it might be the third farm.

Jeff Hansen, April 7, 2018 at 1:54 pm

Why is that where you grew up at? I was born and raised there in Montezuma if I am not mistaken Hutchison live there now and the third farm on the south

Larry Klaaren, April 9, 2018 at 9:36 am

I grew up seven miles from the nearest town which was Fremont. Population 461 at the time. Actually, Kirkville is about two miles but we couldn’t get there by road. It is halfway between Oskaloosa and Ottumwa. My Dad is in a nursing home in Oskaloosa. I go every third weekend, so I need some variety. I have about six different routes to get to Osky from Chicago, and one is taking Highway 85 from Deep River to Montezuma. I also come on 22 and 92 sometimes, which are parts of the route this year. I also used to work at Lynnville and at Denison and went to school at Iowa State. So I will see some old sites. I have driven the route we will be taking Lynnville to Davenport in the last two months, with the exception of a few miles around Iowa City. There are some hills in there. You can see this barn on Google Earth.

jwsknk, April 11, 2018 at 10:28 am

the ames one should be accessible by “shared use paths” through Moore Park and Brookside parks, not a straight shot but through plenty of trees. actually from 6th to 13th there is no straight shot, so the path through Brookside is probably the best route. You could use the “shared use path” along University to get up to 6th. the path goes under a couple of busy streets (Lincolnway and 6th) and a stoplight at the end to get to the aquatic center. And if you bring a skateboard it goes right by the skate park.

This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  jwsknk.

Lisa Buckentine, April 18, 2018 at 12:00 pm

Jefferson has a nice pool and it will be easy to ride to.

Ragbrai Nation, April 19, 2018 at 5:11 pm

The following is not a bona fide recommendation for Ragbrai participant behavior, but rather it is only an observation I have made pertaining to mid-day or afternoon swimming along the route over the 4 Ragbrai’s I have ridden: One should keep an eye out for that special, out-of-the-way park or farm pond swimming hole opportunity during one of the weekday rides. They are not always announced or even readily visible from the road. Usually, they present themselves just once on each Ragbrai. Understand, Ragbrai is a FAMILY EVENT (minors included) so use your head. Be very mindful of Iowa laws and don’t get carried away. If the ISP receives a complaint and intervenes, do as you are told without hesitation so this unspoken tradition may continue its future with Ragbrai.

KenH, April 20, 2018 at 7:44 am

Jeff Hansen: I was born and raised there in Montezuma if I am not mistaken Hutchison live there now and the third farm on the south

I can assure you that I do NOT live there!

Seriously, if there is a Hutchinson living in that farm I will have to try to remember this and stop in to say “Hey” to my “cousins”! My paternal grandfather was a tenant farmer on some farm land on either side of Somonauk, IL. Our kin are from Kentucky, not Iowa, but you never know….

Larry Klaaren, April 20, 2018 at 9:17 am

According to Google Esrth it is the Hutchinson farm.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014