Anybody got hurt? Accident status?

Hi this was my first Ragbrai and I am already planning for next year. I saw a lot of accidents, I did not get hurt or got a flat tire, but I was wondering if anybody that did get hurt can provided some status, especially the lady that her her bike flip over while going downhill or the dad that was pulling a kid carrier and the carrier came loose while going uphill and the kid was tumbling inside like a dryer.

10 Replies

LawnchairMan, August 3, 2019 at 12:05 pm

I heard that there was a rider taken down by a deer. I haven’t found any reports, so did it happen or was it just a rumor?

kbear, August 3, 2019 at 1:16 pm

LawnchairMan, I came across the deer incident right after it happened (on a slight downhill a few miles after the Lebanon school fundraiser). I think it was a woman and she appeared to be conscious; still on road to the left. One of the people directing traffic said, “Watch out for deer! That’s what got her.” So it wasn’t clear to me whether there was impact or if one jumped out at her and she swerved/startled and lost control. Heard an ambulance a minute or two after I passed. It shook me because it was something that never occurred to me as a biking hazard (I see them all the time, and have had near misses with my car, but never with my bike).

heknits, August 3, 2019 at 2:29 pm

Does RAGBRAI publish accident statistics for the ride? Just curious to know how this year stacked up.

Chad Frana, August 5, 2019 at 7:55 am

I asked about the accident question from Ragbrai official. I was told for legal reasons, they don’t disclose, discuss, or want to even know about the accidents on the road. (HIPAA I’m thinking) I am sure they care about the injured, but can’t/won’t disclose anything about it.

jwsknk, August 5, 2019 at 10:22 am

I thought the ambulance company / paramedics stated the number of calls they responded to at the Ride Right / Team meeting in Feb. And x number were alcohol related, x number rider vs road, etc…But I haven’t gone the last couple of years.

just randy, August 5, 2019 at 11:25 am

Such “information” would just create bad vibes and would create negative energy among RAGBRAI nation. Pointing “blame” is not in the RAGBRAI or Iowa spirit. Many factors (including weather) are involved in any RAGBRAI accident. Also think about 15,000 unique riders defining a “safe” speed to ride down a steep hill varies significantly (I peaked at 47 MPH some 25 years ago and now brake to avoid such speeds). Such variables and how many witnesses do not define if one year with 10 accidents is any more “safer” than a year with 15 accidents. When you have 15,000 riders bike down 427+ miles of 2 lane roads, chances are a few accidents will happen. Not good. However, I firmly believe that the organizers have the significant goal of having all participants arrive home safely after the ride.

This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  just randy.

LawnchairMan, August 5, 2019 at 12:31 pm

kbear, I think it was the same day that I had seen three deer cross the road in front of me. I was on level ground and they were far enough ahead of me that I was not endangered. It just seems that an interesting story like that would be in the news. I couldn’t find it. Thanks for the confirmation.

Brady Bisgard, August 5, 2019 at 1:10 pm

The woman hit by a deer was taken off in an ambulance in a full neck cast on a stretcher.

I really hope it was just precautionary it didn’t look good.

Donald Nielson, August 7, 2019 at 10:55 pm

I personally hit a crack and lost control on the route between Norwalk and Indianola.
No idea for sure what happened as I suffered a concussion and three broke ribs. Front rim damage points to hitting a crack. Ambulance crew said I was coming down a hill and went off the road
Recooperating very well and actually back on my bike this week after getting ok from my doctor.
Thanks to the ambulance crew that took me to Methodist in Des Moines. We appreciate having you people out there. Better mention great care from hospital staff too.
Luckily no one else involved from what ambulance crew reported.
If you saw it, tell me what happened.
Thanks to any fellow riders who assisted in calling it in etc.
This was my 31st year so I’ve seen my share of accidents and this marked only by second incident.
The RAGBRAI staff need commended for taking good care of us! Thanks again.

Jon Bubendorfer, August 8, 2019 at 4:29 pm

I’m glad you’re on the mend, Donald – damn, all those miles to go down this year.
Keep on Keeping on!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015