Anyone doing a DIY multi-day tour this summer?

Look like every organized group cycling tour this summer is cancelled. But the road is calling, at least it is for me. And I suspect small towns across the US will be welcoming to a lone cycle tourist (or small group) passing through with money to spend on inns & restaurants…of course respecting social distancing guidelines.

Anyone thinking of creating their own small or solo multi-day ride this summer?

20 Replies

mootsman, May 17, 2020 at 7:40 am

A few of the guys I have done Ragbrai with are thinking about doing a ride in Wisconsin. Our plans are to be based out of a town and stay at a hotel and do five loops from the town. Each day would be between 50-75 miles. Onalaska WI is the town of choice so far. We are hoping things are better in regards to COVID-19 by August and hope to do it then. Most of us are from Illinois and looking forward to a little different look. We have all done several Ragbrai’s, ten for me. All of us would rather do Ragbrai but this might be fun.

I have a route out of La Crosse’s Myrick park loosely based on the LAX Wheelmen’s Killer Hill route. Climb’s up past Grand-dad bluff on County F to FO to OA into Barre Mill. Then a loop that includes West Salem and Bangor and points north. I can post the details if you want or track down the map and my old laption

Larry Klaaren, May 18, 2020 at 9:08 am

Thanks Mootsman.
Right now everything is sort of dependent on when my 91 year old father’s nursing home comes out of quarantine and how he does. He has been suffering emotionally and physically. I’ll be making plans in the short term and hope to do something a little more planned and longer in the fall after school starts and hopefully things have calmed down. Since our youngest child graduated this year, we can go places in the less crowded seasons.

Jboz, May 18, 2020 at 11:12 am

Larry Klaaren – you and I appear to have parallel lives at the moment. Both of my in-laws are (were in one case) in their 90’s and in locked-down nursing homes. Sadly, my wife’s dad passed 2 weeks ago today at age 96. The lock-down is necessary, but really painful for these seniors who really depend on family. In my father-in-law’s case, the decline was rapid. I truly hope your dad fares better. And we have 2 sons finishing up college, one junior and one senior. Between all this, plus my recent slightly unplanned (but welcome) retirement, my wife and I are on the cusp of having some freedom we have never really had. Obviously, cycling adventures will be playing a huge role in what the next 15 or 20 years look like for me.

Mike Murphy, May 18, 2020 at 10:17 pm

Thanks, a member of our groups lives near there and has our routes planned out. Also not sure I want to do a “Killer Hill” route. LOL

Andy Jelagin, May 19, 2020 at 8:42 am

It sounds like many of us are of the same mind. Our gang of three (maybe four) are planning to ride counter-clockwise around the bottom half of Lake Michigan.

We’ll start in the north suburbs of Chicago and work our way south through Indiana and north through Michigan to the Ludington Ferry. Once we’ve crossed the lake, we’ll head south from Manitowoc and back home.

It should work out to be about 500 miles over 7 days – pretty close to RAGBRAI numbers – but hauling our own gear and less elevation, so it should (hopefully) balance out.

Viewing 5 replies - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015