The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Anyone else bringing youth riders?

My 11 year old daughter is riding with me again this year. We rode 2 days last year and are registered for 3 this year.
I am hoping to find others bringing youth and maybe arrange to meet up so she will have someone close to her age to talk to a bit during our RAGBRAI time. We are riding Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for sure, with the potential to add Friday and Saturday.

Last year we rode Jefferson to Ames, Ames to Newton. She loved it and out-rode me on almost every hill. The odds are slim that anyone reading this will remember seeing her, but she had her hair dyed red on one side and blue on the other and French braided. She said she loved that people encouraged her and helped keep her motivated to make it through. We both appreciate the positive atmosphere and making her feel welcome!

29 Replies

hnschipper, July 2, 2019 at 10:33 pm

I’m pulling my 7 year old nephew behind me in a WeeHoo trailer this year. It will be his first ride. We anticipate he will likely be stopping in the meeting town each day.

Brandi Bresson, July 8, 2019 at 9:31 pm

We will keep an eye out and say hi if we see you!

Corey, July 9, 2019 at 8:17 am

My 12 y/o son and I are riding. He has ridden the previous two RAGBRAIs all week on the back of our tandem. This year he is riding his own bike all week. He’s pretty excited about accomplishing the goal and I think he’s ready. Maybe we’ll see you out there.

Cory Rood, July 9, 2019 at 10:33 am

Our 6 year old son will be joining us for Tuesday(Winterset to Indianola) on our triple.

Larry Klaaren, July 9, 2019 at 3:02 pm

If she dies her hair red and blue, people will notice her this time. There was a young girl with a white bike I saw a few times. She was a great rider, but maybe that wasn’t her. Seemed to know to keep the cadence up and the gear down. I am color blind, so the hair could have gotten past me.

Dueywife, July 9, 2019 at 3:09 pm

If all goes as planned we will be bringing our 13 yo son for Day 1. The mileage will help him finish his Cycling merit badge.

Brandi Bresson, July 9, 2019 at 3:51 pm

Corey, it would be awesome if we managed to bump into each other. My daughter loves having people to talk to besides me, especially kids!

Cory, that’s great that your little dude is riding with you! I’ll keep an eye out for your triple. That’s the first day we are riding.

Larry, that was my girl! She thinks it’s pretty cool that she was not only noticed, but remembered. She says she is dying her hair pink this year to match the jersey again. I’m glad to hear she was a good rider. We were both new to the whole thing!

Dueywife, that’s great that your boy can use the experience to accomplish goals! We won’t see him because we’re not starting until day 3. I hope he enjoys it.

I love to see people exposing our youth to an active lifestyle!

Larry Klaaren, July 9, 2019 at 4:13 pm

I remember how determined and proud she looked. I said something to her to encourage her, I don’t remember exactly what.

KenH, July 9, 2019 at 4:32 pm

Seems like there are always young riders on this ride so I would think that meeting some would not be too difficult. We never had children so I cannot offer any experiential advice unless my niece or nephew decide to let theirs come along some day. Neither of them ride so that is a long shot at best!

I can’t recall seeing a girl with red and blue hair last year. But oddly colored hair is right on the cusp of being so common that it could escape notice, and when I say odd, I mean in a good way. On the other hand just a week ago today my wife and I both noticed that one of the waitresses in our normal half price pizza Tuesday restaurant had hair dyed in two colors.

Red on one side, blue on the other!

It looked great but she was a little older than 11 so I presume, not your daughter. 😉 I hope the two of you have a great ride again this year and I am sure that whether young or old she will find plenty of people to talk with and get encouragement from.

Jboz, July 9, 2019 at 5:44 pm

Note of caution to parents with young riders: They get hooked!

My son did RAGBRAI with me the first time in 2012 at age 13. Brutally hot, but he did the entire ride. He has ridden 4 times since then, and completed a self-supported 1200 mile ride from Maine to Michigan when he was 17. He’s now 20 and is planning a transcontinental ride when he graduates from college.

Brandi Bresson, July 9, 2019 at 7:23 pm

KenH, maybe she started a trend!

Jboz, I fear it may already be happening. She is the one that knew the day we were done last year that we were riding again this year. And she is the one pushing for 5 days instead of just 3. We shall see. I’m sure there are worse addictions!

Jboz, July 9, 2019 at 8:09 pm

Brandi, it’s a healthy addiction. My son does like his beer, but thankfully he has avoided all the serious temptations that plague so many kids these days. I attribute much of this to his passion for cycling…which all started on RAGBRAI.

To anyone else reading this, get your kids involved in cycling!

Steven Hardy, July 10, 2019 at 6:53 am

Doing #5 with 11 year old grandson Jack. Good luck and hope to see you.

Brandi Bresson, July 10, 2019 at 7:35 am

Steven, #5 for you, or for Jack? We will definitely keep an eye out.

If anyone wants to make a point to meet up, let me know. We could exchange numbers and make it happen!

KenH, July 10, 2019 at 8:52 am

I think pretty much all of us have found this ride to be addicting, there is no surprise if a 10 year old did.

I was listening to the chatter on NBC’s Tour coverage today and they began talking of a rider some years ago who found himself winning both the yellow and green jerseys one day. The next day he rode a bike painted green on one side and yellow on the other. So there have been precedents!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014