Anyone ride this year in RAGBRAI 2016 from Wash. DC area

Please share your thought if you are from DC area and riding RAGBRAI 2016!

Regards,

Ben

28 Replies

Ben….. M., April 22, 2016 at 8:13 am

Thanks Jack for showing all options. What is your plan for this year? BTW we can meet up on this coast if you come to DC area for biking.

Ben

RustyC, May 4, 2016 at 8:02 am

Hi Ben. If weather cooperates, I may get into Muscatine on friday afternoon and camp that night. Then catch the PBV bus on saturday morning. Also, I’m riding the GAP/C&O into DC end of May, or first week in June. While in DC I’ll probably catch the Friday Morning Coffee group and then ride out to Annapolis (where I used to live), then up to BWI. Hopefully, get picked up there. Beer in Iowa?, you’re on.

Jack in VA, May 5, 2016 at 11:09 pm

Hi Ben. I’ll be flying into Omaha on Thursday before – spend Friday with family there. Then catch the shuttle to Glenwood Sat AM – and shuttle back to Omaha a week later. Flying back to Norfolk on Sunday.
I don’t know if I can get up to DC before then – several events down here through May and June, and work will take up most weekends through the rest of June.
Hopefully we’ll meet up in IA – and grab a brew or two!

Ben….. M., May 6, 2016 at 2:50 pm

Rusty & Jack,

Thanks for responses and we can have a beer or two on the way in the tour! Leave private messages with your contact numbers.

See yeh in Iowa!

Ben….. M., May 13, 2016 at 10:12 am

Anybody else?

Ben

Niles, May 13, 2016 at 11:59 am

We are Delaware-based and we’ll have our Bluehen bus leaving from Wilmington.

Ben….. M., May 14, 2016 at 5:19 pm

Niles,

I am familiar with Bluehen team from Wilmington. The bus leaves two days before the tour and I have seen the the team on the route.

Thanks for response.

Ben

patrsnw, June 4, 2016 at 9:32 pm

This is #19 and I drove the first couple of times but now we fly DCA-OMA and then use Pork Belly Ventures to schlep our stuff across the state.

Since I’ve not driven this century, I’ve no idea what it’s like now. Plan to do it next year, though, if the Cubs schedule fits with catching a game before or after RAGBRAI.

Pretty soon we’ll start training for this darned thing that fills up our last week in July.

Alexandria

Ben….. M., June 5, 2016 at 4:37 pm

Thanks Alexandria sharing your experience. I like to fly to west and ride. the problem is to ship bike back and forth which is expenssive and need to carry the box for it. Also, the flight is another dependency and then shuttle that limit you to expend time in flight and then in airport/ stops. I know driving is a hassle but is in your control. Of course if there is a choice of carpool then is work better.

What do you think?

Ben

patrsnw, June 5, 2016 at 5:12 pm

One of the benefits of using Pork Belly is that we also use their shuttles, and they also schlep our hard cases to the end where we pack ’em up and use FedEx to get them home.

There’s a cost to all of this but we figure the lack of hassle is worth it. It’s not for everybody and if I were single (or retired) then maybe I’d drive.

Ben….. M., June 6, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Thanks again Alexandria for clarification. I actually adding three days extra vacation to drive there and back.

RustyC, June 7, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Hi Ben, I’m also planning extra days for this years RAGBRAI. I want to get to Muscatine early afternoon on Friday and shuttle out with PKB on Saturday morning. Then also, I’m gonna stay saturday evening in Muscatine (or close by), then drive back to PA on Sunday.

To the rest of you DC’ers, I’ll be in the area sometime fathers day weekend, then in the Annapolis area for a day or two, then riding up to BWI. IF anyone wants to ride, get coffee/ice cream/beer, lets meet up.

Ben….. M., June 13, 2016 at 9:24 pm

Rusty,

I am watching closely the weather for this weekend and lets keep in touch, we may bike one of the day in the weekend.

Ben

Viewing 13 replies - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015