Are you still riding?

When do you hang it up for the year? Unless there is a special reason, I stop riding when the temps get down to about 45. I’m not a big fan of the cold for riding and my knee stiffens up. Medical reasons have knocked me out even early this year. Just wondering when you throw in the towel, if at all.

24 Replies

Michrider !!!, October 16, 2016 at 7:18 am

I was still riding (trying to ride) until I fell again last Sunday!

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!!

Nico ZZZ, October 16, 2016 at 7:25 am

I rode the stationary a bit in August and September along with basic fitness training, then I got sidetracked with the arrival of Hurricane Matthew down here in FL. But I got the Scott back out on the pavement last weekend and rode a couple of 15 mile days. Felt so good to ride, even though it was just an hour each day. Raining right now, but hoping to get out for another 15 today. I usually fade out of riding until January or February when I start ramping up training/prep for the next RAGBRAI. But since I have the magic weather of southern FL winters, I should – and this time I WILL – train continuously until RAGBRAI 2017. I didn’t walk for 8 months or so in 2015 due to my nightmare ankle break, so I did over a year of intense physical therapy which ramped into training for 2016 RAGBRAI. I decided to now always be RAGBRAI READY from now on. Being 56yo, the weight and fitness yoyo’ing is too hard and getting harder, so it is easier to stay in shape rather than do that Springtime battle to get back in shape!
I rode strong this last RAGBRAI, but my goal this year is to be even stronger so I can enjoy those pass through town stops even more…the daily morning Bloody Mary…all that pork…cold beer…pie and ice cream….
I can’t wait! Even yesterday I was on the web perusing camping gear, thinking of how to better my RAGBRAI gear!
Ride On!

BillSpriggs, October 16, 2016 at 11:27 am

I’ve been riding almost daily since my bike got back from Iowa. Fortunately I live in central California and have fairly mild winters. Typically in the winter we start riding in the hills and work on climbing.

Amanda, October 17, 2016 at 8:13 am

Usually August – LOL. I did ride in September – about 70 miles and a day in October – 30 miles. I will ride once in November and December just to say I rode every month in 2016.

I am a really fair weather biker. I go to the gym all year long but getting older makes it harder to get into shape so continuious exercise of some sort is best.

RoyBoy, October 17, 2016 at 12:25 pm

I keep riding all year long. Just need to add another layer for every 20 degrees colder. Training for next year started on July 31.

jwsknk, October 17, 2016 at 12:50 pm

did 40 in Iowa Sunday, it was 65-70 degrees.

thangamalang, October 18, 2016 at 5:20 am

I have not ridden since August 31st due to a one time work related issue. I am riding the single bike around the Okobji area today here in NW Iowa. I already know I will need to take it easy and slower that usual. First full day off except Labor Day since then so I am ready to chill.

Other than the instance above,I ride my bike just about every morning or evening depending on sunrise and sunset April – October, the route is just shy of 16 miles.

Sandaltan ., October 18, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Our last ride was two weeks ago on the Fox River Trail, a bunch of us stayed in St Charles, Il and spent three days on that trail. A very nice trail with plenty of food, beverage stops and even some shopping for the Little Stoker.

So Mich, what is going on? We expect to see you in Iowa next July and no excuses, not even a note from Lucy Lu will get you off the hook.

RIDE RIGHT

Michrider !!!, October 18, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Sandaltan: So Mich, what is going on? We expect to see you in Iowa next July and no excuses, not even a note from Lucy Lu will get you off the hook.

ST, It’s a balance issue. Guess I’ll be moving the dark side. Considering buying a trike!

Sandaltan ., October 18, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Trikes are the hot seller right now, welcome to the dark side! The Little Stoker has a Catrike and loves it. I think you have an excellent dealer close to you in Fairfield.

RIDE RIGHT

Ken, October 19, 2016 at 7:17 am

Hi Mike,

I went with a Catrike 559 a year ago and my regular bike has been hanging in the garage ever since. I also got tired of falling over. Never considered it a balance issue, but still. I am 73. Rode my seventh RAGBRAI last year, first year on a trike.

It is a whole different world! If you expect that you can continue your riding style, speed etc on a trike, you will be disappointed at first. Your vehicle will weigh two to three times more, you will use a different set of muscles and you have to remember that your trike will not lean on the turns. In spite of all that, you will enjoy the comfort, the relaxed attitude, the scenery you could not see while bent over your handlebars and the relative assurance that you are not going to tip over. And once you develop your trike legs you will start to recover some speed and ability to climb hills.

Sandaltan gives good advice. Get up to Fairfield and try out the trikes before you buy. They all seem to look similar but there are a lot of variables to consider and although you can get plenty of advice from others, you are the one that has to be comfortable with the ride. Check out bentrideronline.com You will find tons of info there.

Welcome to the dark side!! Ken

KenH, October 19, 2016 at 7:59 am

I’m still riding, on the light side! Usually I do the bike train commute of 7 to 10 miles a day pedaling through the end of October. This year I plan to see how far into November I can get. Normally it is the encroaching darkness that puts me off. Suburban drivers are bad enough in the daylight! But I do get an hour of daylight back in the morning due to the time change and I have somewhat belatedly realized that if I take the shorter route to the train in the evening I can squeak out two or three weeks in November. If the snow holds off….

I commute on a Dahon folder (train company rules) and do the rest of my riding on a Fuji. Usually I’ve faded away from riding the Fuji by this time of year but this year I hope to keep getting at least 2-3 hours in on most Saturday mornings until the McHenry County Prairie Trail gets snowed in. I also hope to do something I always intended to do but never have managed to pull off: hop on the rollers 3, 4 times a week as soon as I stop riding outdoors. Most years that good intention does not get realized until January, Feburay, ….

If you need some motivation to keep going over the winter I see that they have released a logo clue:

2017 RAGBRAI Logo

If that link works you can see that they seem to be predicting that this election will turn things upside down! Or maybe RAGBRAI will be in Australia this year??

Jack in VA, October 19, 2016 at 11:12 am

YES!

2 weekends ago (despite Hurricane Matthew) the Seagull Century charged on ahead full steam. There were a LOT fewer riders – many had cancelled due to the possibility of bad weather because of Matthew. However, there was just a slight mist for a few hours in the morning, and it really didn’t start raining till later in the afternoon when most of the riders were back in. I’ve done this ride about 16 times, and this was the LEAST WINDY it has ever been, I think.

This past weekend, the Shenandoah Fall Foliage Festival was held in Staunton VA. There were about 800 riders, and the weather was PERFECT! Scenery was, too! I managed about 35 on Saturday and the same on Sunday.

trknight, October 21, 2016 at 10:49 am

I’m a couple hundred miles short of my minimum annual mileage goal so I’m still riding as weather and daylight permits. I’m hoping to finish it up this month.

wrj, October 23, 2016 at 6:58 pm

Yes I am still riding. My cycling fitness level is not what it was at the end of Ragbrai, but I am still spinning away. I have a little over 600 miles since Ragbrai ended. I am trying to learn how to dress for colder weather. Today I rode 40 miles, overdressed. Other days I ride and i am cold, can’t find the correct clothes for the day. Oh well. Waiting for Ragbrai 2017!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015