Arrival times in Le Mars?

Hi all!

Can anyone provide some insight on how the arrival/check-in process works in Le Mars? I just received a wedding invitation in Minneapolis for the 24th and am hoping I could at least attend the ceremony before the 4ish hour trip to Iowa. Does anyone else have any sense for how late I could show up? The counter on the front page is counting down to noon on the 24th, but I am assuming that’s not a hard deadline.

Also, apologies if this information is available somewhere on the site I can just cannot find it. If so, just point me in the right direction!

6 Replies

hnschipper, June 9, 2021 at 3:53 pm

There is no check in. Just show up. There is no deadline for showing up. Just know that if you show up late at night and you’re trying to find a campsite/set up camp while all of your campsite neighbors are sleeping, you’re going to be pretty unpopular. :)

DenBiker, June 9, 2021 at 5:13 pm

If it helps – The EXPO (with all sorts of bike related merchandise and info) runs from 12 to 9pm – of course the music will last longer. Sunset in Le Mars is 8:53 and twilight extends for another 1/2 hour. A lot of people do try to get to bed once the daylight recedes. Hnschipper was right on – in the interest of domestic tranquility plan to get there in time to get set up before it gets dark!

jkwille, June 10, 2021 at 8:34 am

Thank you for the replies! This is really helpful context.

Zac Henderson, June 10, 2021 at 12:05 pm

I asked the same question in a RAGBRAI Facebook group. The wise folks there said that to arrive “early” is between 12 and 2, and that most riders arrive after 2. I’m playing it safe and arriving early because I’m flying and shipping a bike and because shit happens. I don’t want to be stressed about logistics when I could be relaxed and eating ice cream while looking at bikes. But if you’re driving, you probably have a little more flexibility. Hope that helps.

Jonathan Jones, June 10, 2021 at 1:05 pm

You already got your answer, but there is no check-in to ride. Ever.

If you are using the baggage trucks in the morning, you have to be loaded by a set time. Also, each pass-through town has a closing time. Otherwise, it’s all you.

Rob Fuller, June 11, 2021 at 12:14 pm

I say skip the wedding! (Or, maybe I’m too excited for the rag 2021?)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI