Ask yourself what you have done

The three little helpers in Winterset fair ground had been selling great pork loin sandwich for a whole day with their parents. By the evening, they just wanted to call the day. After finished my meal there, I asked the three boys who served me the sandwich and then handed a buck for tip to the one who did. The other boy next to him was envious. Then I gave him buck,too. Now the third boy who was still busy at the cash register felt what a chance he had missed. But I still had the third buck to give to him and everybody got a dollar. They were so happy and high-fived and showed the dollar to their parents.

Then finally, I asked how many sandwiches remained and bought them all so the boys could go home. I was just so glad to make those boys happy for the moment.

4 Replies

bugs11, July 31, 2019 at 11:16 am

Hmmm… Myself and another biker stopped the flow of bikes through a teeny-tiny town along the route for a brief moment to allow a local lady to drive her car across the intersection. She said she had to get to school. I could tell she was perplexed and didn’t know what to do.

Kevin Kaufman, August 2, 2019 at 9:25 am

I lost my wallet in Adair so some stranger could demonstrate the spirit of RAGBRAI and that there is still some hope for us. I expected someone to turn it in, but also didn’t expect it. The kicker is, the $200 was still there. Whoever you were, Thanks!

Randall Murphy, August 2, 2019 at 11:53 am

I turned in a DL, credit card and a stack of cash in a zip lock bag to the DJ at the Ag Oasis. Before I left I heard the announcement that the owner had been found. It made my day and certainly his.

swiifg, August 2, 2019 at 4:56 pm

This reminds me of a gal in 2016, when we were in a small, less than affluent southern route town. A young couple brought their young children to where the vendors were – each child carried a sack lunch – smart parents if they aren’t able to afford the prices charged on RAGBRAI for goodies. The gal next to us got up, offer her hand to the younger children and with the mother’s approval took them to get a smoothie. She made those kids’ day, and probably the mother’s too.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015