average temp during RAGBRAI(should i bring the sleeping bag)

I am thinking that the sleeping bag is not going to be needed during those days. i figure if it is too hot at night plus humidity, you just need a light blanket and some long john should do the trick. I have seen previous temperatures from last years and I do not think a sleeping bag is required. I need more space in my bag to bring more thing. What do you think?

11 Replies

Alan_50501, July 9, 2019 at 10:14 pm

Sounds like its gonna be very humid a few days

jwsknk, July 9, 2019 at 10:38 pm

I have t hauled on on a long time. A sheet has been enough most nights. But I have the arm and leg warmers and a pair of socks if I need them. And a rain jacket for another layer.

SFC JKL 2, July 9, 2019 at 11:09 pm

I bring a fleece bag and a sheet. Sleep on the bag with the sheet, use the bag as a blanket, use the bag itself, or if it gets cold, use the sheet as a liner in the bag. I guess if it really gets cold, I could put on some more clothes.

Andy Jelagin, July 10, 2019 at 6:18 am

I left my sleeping bag at home last year (first timer) and just took a light blanket. I was fine at bed time but by 2am or so I found myself needing to layer up; it was chilly and damp almost every morning. I also brought a small battery-operated fan, which wasn’t used once.

This year I’m bringing a lightweight bog.

Brady Bisgard, July 10, 2019 at 8:54 am

I use a sheet. If its a weird cold night I always bring a pair of sweats and a jacket. Has never been an issue.

Only benefit of sleeping bag would be padding from sleeping on top.

Amanda, July 10, 2019 at 9:06 am

Sheets and blanket for me. And something warm to sleep in if needed. That takes up less room. Don’t forget the warm socks! You probably won’t need much the first few nights but then it will rain and get cool at night the rest of the week.

Brian Pentony, July 10, 2019 at 10:37 am

I’ve noticed that the last few times I’ve been out there, the week has started off very warm. Hot in the sun. Then some rain comes around mid week and things start to cool off. Both of the last two years ended on the cool side.
Extended forecast (at THIS time) for this part of Iowa looks hot to start and humid most of the week. I bring a bed sheet and hanging fan for the warm evenings. I have a pseudo blanket/sleeping bag that I only use to lay on.

Sandaltan ., July 10, 2019 at 7:09 pm

Bring the sleeping bag.

RIDE RIGHT

David, July 10, 2019 at 8:00 pm

There is a huge variety of sleeping bags, so it depends on what kind you have.

I personally like a good tech blanket over a sleeping bag for summer camping. I have been using a Thermarest tech blanket for the last 10 years. Both hot and cold nights it has been pretty good. It doesn’t get damp from sweat and dries quickly unlike a lot of other blankets. I wouldn’t bring anything cotton or fuzzy.

skb-mpls, July 10, 2019 at 8:27 pm

Hey fellow Loon! Long range forecasts can be fickle but it does look hot.

A few years ago I sewed a queen sheet to a fleece blanket that works very well for me. I use a therma rest pad & when it is hot I lay on the fleece blanket with the sheet partially covering me… Really hot both battery fans pointed at me from opposite sides. If it is cooler – I wear a long underwear with socks and fleece on top. I find I can get cramps if I get cooled off too much.

Jeff Rogers, July 10, 2019 at 9:04 pm

I’ve spent nights under the stars in every clime and place. I’ve left a sleeping bag at home more than once and ALWAYS regretted it. The applicable adage in this case is “Travel light, freeze at night.” I’ll be taking a flat sheet and a military surplus poncho liner.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014