Back on a bike after knee surgery advice

I had arthroscopic knee surgery three weeks ago, and though my doctor said I should be fine for the ride (save for my endurance going to shit during the three weeks I’ve been off of my bike), I was wondering if anyone else has ever had the surgery and what their recovery was like while bike riding.  Swelling? Pain? etc.

2 Replies

dc, July 17, 2011 at 10:23 am

I had my ACL replaced 4 yrs ago – but I had about 4 months recovery time, not 4 weeks!  I didn’t have any problems.  Don’t push the pace too hard, take lots of breaks, and be prepared to let Ragbrai steer you another (fun) direction by meeting some new friends with a bus if your knee does give you problems.

screamnturtle, July 17, 2011 at 11:41 am

Had knee injury 6 weeks ago. After clean -up on  inside of knee I’m now back into training (like ,you said) minus conditioning I lost. But knee is doing wonderful , as long as I don’t twist it left/right. Going up/down works good-so that’s a good thing for riding Ragbrai. Just watch the way your knee feels during your Ragbrai ride. If things start to feel wongers, then take things easy out there.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI