Baggage suggestions?

I usually ride with a small family team with our own support vehicle, but my sibs are thinking about starting the route about a third of the way in and I’m toying with starting on my own in Council Bluffs and meeting up with them later in the week. So – thinking about the baggage truck, and packing a bag for same. I don’t have a suitable bag and am looking for suggestions. I want something sturdy, big enough to hold my tent, bedding, etc., but not overly heavy on its own. It would be nice if I could carry it either by the handle or on my back. I am 59 years old and a sturdy but not burly grandma. Any suggestions?

20 Replies

Den, March 24, 2019 at 4:23 pm

I agree with Marty. The North Face bags are the best I have found. And I tried duffles, backpacks, dry bags, and rolling suitcases with everything inside in garbage bags. A little expensive, but well worth the cost as they last forever. They have backpack straps, shoulder and hand carry straps. They are waterproof or virtually so. I’ve used these bags for 10 years and other than the scuff marks, they are good as new. Pick the size you can carry. You will never regret the purchase.

ESchiers, March 25, 2019 at 11:25 pm

I have to send a thumbs up for Bill’s Bags too. The best waterproof bag ever!

William Rautenstrauch, March 26, 2019 at 1:00 am

I rode Ragbrai in 2009 and carried two bags — one an overnight bag with clothes and toiletries and such — and the other a good old army duffel bag in which I could easily fit my tent, sleeping bag, self-inflating sleeping pad, pillow, and laundry bag. I carried my whole home-away-from-home in that duffel and it worked like a charm. Good luck!

lpprice, March 31, 2019 at 1:51 pm

If your group will bring tent, etc for you on the 3rd/4th night…
Maybe just sign-up for guest housing those first 2-3 nights so that you don’t need a tent.
Keep in mind that the guest housing is cheap and includes both residential and non-residential.
It’s not so bad sleeping on a church floor, or YMCA gym, etc.

bmyoungberg, March 31, 2019 at 5:05 pm

I use a big hockey equipment bag with wheels from Amazon. If no wheels, lugging bag can be a hassle to and from truck. I then have stuff compartmentalized in waterproof bags of different sizes and colors (found on Amazon or a sporting goods store).

Viewing 5 replies - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015