Baggage tag numbers don't match wristband numbers

Hello, I purchased 2 sets of full credentials from another rider. Everything matches except the baggage tags. I believe he was riding with a group and must have been given someone else’s baggage tags. I noticed that there is room on the baggage tags for up to 4 additional wristband numbers, can I just add my number and black put the other number?

10 Replies

ppayne1959, July 18, 2017 at 10:11 am

That’s not too good if you are using the ragbrai baggage service. They usually try to match the numbers as you pick up your bags every night.

John Conway, July 18, 2017 at 10:58 am

I am using the baggage service. What is the purpose of the 3 additional band number spaces on the bag tag? I was hopeful that I could just write in my correct wrist-band number in one of those spaces, no?

ppayne1959, July 18, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Possibly, I would just talk to the guys the first day you pick up your bag. The good thing is it is usually the same crew every day so they get to know you. I am sure they can work something out.

KenH, July 18, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Contact the RAGBRAI help desk and get their advice. If his group was providing their own support vehicle then the baggage tags are just souvenirs as far as they are concerned and they would not (unless they are OCD!) bother to match them up to wristband numbers when parceling them out to the team.

The blank spaces are there for day riders to write their wristband numbers in. They get a different wristband with a different number for each day. The Register prints the number for week long rider wristbands in one of the open spaces. It is probably OK to write your number in but since there is time, contact the help desk and get their advice just so you don’t run into any issues next week. I’m cautious about such things, I would even print out a copy of the conversation you have with the help desk about this and carry that along, just in case….

This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by KenH.

John Conway, July 18, 2017 at 12:37 pm

Ken, Yes. I think you are exactly right. The group was self-supported and that’s why the seller did not realize that the tags he was given were not the correct ones. I have emailed Mariah at the help desk. Thanks everyone.

derek duncan, July 18, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Hello, I purchased 2 sets of full credentials from another rider. Everything matches except the baggage tags. I believe he was riding with a group and must have been given someone else’s baggage tags. I noticed that there is room on the baggage tags for up to 4 additional wristband numbers, can I just add my number and black put the other number?

the blank lines are for you to write in a wristband number of your riding companions… – so that they could pick up your bag in your absence.

That said, the one year that I used the register’s truck for my bags – I don’t remember them even checking wristbands. ( been awhile… my memory may have faded)

ppayne1959, July 18, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Yeah I always use the common man’s truck. They do check. That being said they are a great group and I am sure will be able to work with you.

RDaryl Daryl, July 18, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Just write your wristband number(s) on the luggage tag(s)

Per Tuesday’s (7/18) “Heartland Express” RAGBRAI blog post:
Your bag must be clearly marked and can be claimed only by showing that the number on your wristband matches the number on your baggage tag. The tags allow for multiple wristband numbers to be entered so spouses/friends can pick up their party’s bags at the same time.

This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by RDaryl Daryl.

This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by RDaryl Daryl.

John Conway, July 18, 2017 at 10:45 pm

Thanks everyone for your help. RAGBRAI help desk confirmed that I can simply put my number on the bag tag. Whew! Resting easier… 😉

John Conway, July 18, 2017 at 10:46 pm

Thanks everyone for your help. RAGBRAI help desk confirmed that I can simply write my number on the bag tag. Whew! Resting easier… 😉

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015