RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

Baggage Truck Hours

I want to get a good early start on Sunday in Le Mars due to it being such a long day and I have some friends to meet in Sac City. I know the baggage truck is gone at 8:00 am sharp, no excuses. But, what time can you start loading? I read the FAQ and the baggage specific section and it does not address starting time, only departure time. I seem to recall 6:00 am but can anyone (preferably from RAGBRAI) confirm what time we can start loading bags? I would love to load up at 5:30 on Sunday morning then grab a cup of coffee and be in the saddle on the road by 6:00. Anyone? Thanks.

This topic was modified 5 months ago by Uncle Kraig.

7 Replies

Rob Fuller, June 30, 2021 at 10:51 am

No worries about the truck – I seem to remember waking to the sounds of the crew setting up the ramps at about sunrise. More important, where’s the coffee vendor?

tdubya500, June 30, 2021 at 4:14 pm

They say the truck opens at 5 but like Rob said there’s always people leaving before the sun come up.
The below link is from 2016 but its been like that every year.

https://ragbrai.com/information-and-locations-of-ragbrai-baggage-trucks-for-2016/

Chris, June 30, 2021 at 7:37 pm

We camp really close to the truck every year, partly to save having to schlep our stuff quite as far, and partly because they serve as a second alarm clock! They’ll start setting up right around 4:30-4:45, take the first bags at 5am…and away we all go. Come 5:30, the truck is usually still pretty empty (unless it’s the Karras Loop day). 6am starts the crowds.

See you in July,
-Chris

Uncle Kraig, July 1, 2021 at 1:27 pm

Thanks for the replies, sounds like 5:00 am it is. Chris, I’ll try and be quiet on Sunday morning so as not to wake you :)

Chris, July 1, 2021 at 2:42 pm

Nah, make all the noise you want :) The luggage guys make more!
I’ll be up anyway. The first day of riding, after the long trip to get there, has us itching to get out on the road.

Quick side-note: the loading the first morning is slower than usual, as they take bag weights to make sure you’re under the 50lb limit. That check is only the first day; every other day it’s just throw-and-go.

See you in July…er….a few weeks!
-Chris

Heather, July 1, 2021 at 4:17 pm

A few years ago, they actually weighed the bags the first 2 days.

cmmounts, July 7, 2021 at 3:33 pm

Would you rather not deal with the truck? I have a Regular Tent & Baggage Service for One Person with Padre’s Cycle Inn (padrescycleinn.com) for $500

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI