RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Beer Thread

Iceman, today I brought home a 6-pack of Bohemia.  I’m icing it up now!

76 Replies

Michrider !!!, May 3, 2012 at 8:03 am

I’ve tried mot of the beers mentioned in this topic. Yes, they are very good! However, for the Kurbs of Iowa, I’ll be drinking Budweiser and/or Bud Light!!!!!

Iceman, May 3, 2012 at 10:31 am

Michrider: I’ve tried mot of the beers mentioned in this topic. Yes, they are very good! However, for the Kurbs of Iowa, I’ll be drinking Budweiser and/or Bud Light!!!!!

We all have to bow to the demands of convenience, eh?

Iceman, May 3, 2012 at 10:44 am

Sandaltan: While strolling the beer aisle at Dahl’s Grocery I spied Bohemia on the shelf for the first time and ON SALE for $6.39 a six pack. The regular price being $7.99 and based on Iceman’s repeated recommendations I had to buy a sixer. I am on my second bottle right now, the first washed down some of the Little Stoker’s left-over pizza from Orlando’s. An OK beer I must say, yes I would buy another sixer, but it will not replace my Fat Tire 1559.RIDE RIGHT

No offense, ST, since tastes in beer are purely subjective. I know a few misguided soles who don’t like Bohemia. But I digress. This Fat Tire deal – reminds me of my college days (oh Lord – almost 40 years ago) when Coors (like Fat Tire, brewed in Col.) was limited to sales in a handful of states. We’d always have a long “Coors order list” from our classmates if we were driving through Coors country. And then came the day – Coors started selling virtually everywhere and with the mystery gone, we then realized just how ordinary Coors really was. Remind you Fat Tire guys of anything?

Sandaltan ., May 3, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Yes, I remember when Coors was THE beer. And yes because “you couldn’t get it…you had to have it”. I remember a trip long ago from Texarkana, TX to some little dirt-floor-cigar-box-for-cash-register bar in Oklahoma for a few cases of Coors. The trip was great, the experience enlightening and I will relate the story sometime but not in writing. However; I have found 1554 to be just the right beer for me….and New Belgium Brewing’s offerings can be found on tap in many small Iowa towns. I have four Bohemia’s left and may buy another six before the price goes up.

BTW, there is or was last time I visited, a bar in Marshalltown called Little Bohemia across the street from Anson Park, another story there for later. Maybe they will have Bohemia beer???

RIDE RIGHT

jwsknk, May 3, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Anyting someone went to Colorado they can back with as much as they could carry. Didn’t they have those “push button” top cans? Once you could get it here it just wasn’t the came. Did they sacrifice quality for quantity? was it in the shipping? was it just not that good to begin with? remember their motto? “Coor’s, it’s water”? :-D

hallyhall, May 3, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Who’s comeing from the East and bringing Yuengling? I’ve got a shiny quarter for whoever can help stock me up!

Sandaltan ., May 3, 2012 at 1:34 pm

hallyhall:
Who’s comeing from the East and bringing Yuengling?I’ve got a shiny quarter for whoever can help stock me up!

I stock Yuengling Black and Tan when in the East. Good beer and not expensive. I am offering a shiny half dollar.

RIDE RIGHT

Michrider !!!, May 3, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Michrider:
I’ve tried mot of the beers mentioned in this topic.Yes, they are very good!However, for the Kurbs of Iowa, I’ll be drinking Budweiser and/or Bud Light!!!!!

Maybe it just me but I think Coors tastes like Celery juice!!!!

Iceman, May 3, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Michrider: Maybe it just me but I think Coors tastes like Celery juice!!!!

Yes, it’s just you. Tastes like weak beer to me and the Coors Light is nearly tasteless.

So, I guess we come full circle to Scotch. Ahhh, 18 year old “The Balvenie.”

Iceman, May 3, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Sandaltan: BTW, there is or was last time I visited, a bar in Marshalltown called Little Bohemia across the street from Anson Park, another story there for later. Maybe they will have Bohemia beer???

No, my guess is that Little Bohemia is Czech. Just like home to me.

OhioCyclone, May 4, 2012 at 11:58 am

After living in the midwest up through I college, diesel (bud heavy) and bud light were the beers to drink, if you weren’t drinking busch or natty light(high content water, with ill consequences), due to the ridiculous price drop. Moved to Ohio two years ago, and I will have to say that Yuengling is so much better than all of the other mass produced “domestic beers.” This could of course be in part due to the “coors” effect that you guys have eluded to. But I tend to think it is just a better beer than Budweiser, and i wont drink Miller so it doesnt even count.

If we are talking craft beers, I love me some flying dog. Also like Sierra Nevada. One of my favorite beers however is boulevard wheat, with lemon. Or any of the signature smokestack series form boulevard as well ( double wide, long strange triple, etc…).

A shot of Wild Turkey 101 wouldnt hurt either…

Sandaltan ., May 4, 2012 at 8:28 pm

To my knowledge OhioCyclone, there is no Yuengling in Iowa but there is plenty of Boulevard and of course the Turkey. I first encountered the Turkey in Texas, a very civilized bourbon that I would recommend.

RIDE RIGHT

tryan, May 4, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Session: Pils Rules. Mama’s Lil….
Let’s Get DrunK: Scotch Ale (kinda sweet but after the first one it don’t matter”
Sippin: Bourbon – that means Kentucky
Parrrrty: Tequila – mix it with ice etc if you are a wuss
Biking: Water with Hammer (sustained energy unflavored)

SeanHavins, May 4, 2012 at 11:25 pm

tryan:
Session:Pils Rules.Mama’s Lil….

That sounds like an Oskar Blues reference. Another very fine Colorado brewery. If you are ever out here, or if you can get it where you are yet, you should def try it. They tend to push the envelope a bit but most of what the create is very good. Gubna, for example.

I know tast in beer is subjective so no one is wrong when they say a beer is good. But I’ve always thought Coors is not beer. It’s good water gone horribly wrong. Just my opinion.

Here in northern Colorado, we have little neighborhood nano breweries opening up every few months. They do well and all make a brew that someone likes. Big Beaver Brewing Company is a good example. Pete made beer for hi neighbors in his garage for years and decided to turn his skills into a business. He’s now doing better than any of us could have imagined.

I’m rambling. Must be the Abby. Anyway, I’m going to make a point to find local breweries in the towns we pass through and stay over at. There must be some. Why not give them the business and help them out?

tryan, May 4, 2012 at 11:36 pm

You are absolutely correct on the Oskar Blues reference.

Parker CO

Viewing 15 replies - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI