before my first mile…

This was to be my first Ragbrai. Unfortunately, after training for three months I had an accident. I’m fine but my bike got messed up and I missed a month of training before it was able to get repaired. I was going to resell my wristband, but didnt know it got shipped to my team. I thought maybe the wristbands were virtual. I had pulled out of the race the day before my money was due to my team and felt bad about having to cancel. But now I find out that my wristband package was mailed to the guy running my team. He’s been sitting on it. Didn’t even bother to send me any message saying ‘hey I’ve got your wristband I can send it to you if you want to resell it.’ I would have paid postage and maybe even given give a small cut for the inconvenienience I caused him by cancelling. Now, I want to sell my wristband and because some lazy jerk 200 miles away didn’t let me know he had all my info, there is no time for him tohip to me and then for me to ship to a buyer. So much for ‘Iowa nice’. A horrible experience before I ever pedaled my first mile. Buyer beware I guess. Bob from Team DLO can sleep with the wolves in Waterloo. What a DICK!

6 Replies

flyinbrian, July 12, 2021 at 11:19 pm

You’ve clearly never had the experience of running logistics for an entire team. It’s not an easy task. You could have seen if you’d looked that wristbands are mailed out and that they’re all mailed to the team captain. This information is readily available on this very site. I don’t know Bob or his team but it sounds you could have done more to resolve this situation than you did. This post was unnecessary and you should probably take it down.

mootsman, July 13, 2021 at 4:07 am

Not your team captain’s fault. That’s the way every team I’ve gone with operates. You get your packet when you show up for RAGBRAI. The cutoff to request a refund from RAGBRAI has passed but it would be your team Captain at your request that would have to file for that as I recall.

Don’t blame your captain for something you should have read about before you signed up. When I’d register it would not be through the team. I’d handle my registration on my own and receive it directly. You can still go with a team, just let the captain know. And so many people are selling wristbands this year not all will be sold anyway.

This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by mootsman.

Cole Epley, July 13, 2021 at 10:51 am

So you’ve got your bike back, and your registration paid for. The way you’ve described your situation, this has everything to do with your inability/unwillingness to communicate with the team and nothing to do with anyone else. Why not ride solo? (since you’ve already burned the bridge with the team, which it sounds like dodged a major bullet by not having you along for the week)

Rob Fuller, July 13, 2021 at 11:05 am

Cole Epley has good advice; throw your stuff on the RAGBRAI truck and go solo. You’ll be surprised how many people you meet at every step – er revolution, of the way.

hnschipper, July 13, 2021 at 7:31 pm

I agree with the other posters. It is not your team captain’s responsibility to make sure you have read through everything. That is 100% on you. It’s very clear in the RAG RAI materials that there is an actual wristband and the wristband is sent to the team captain. If you did not read that when you registered, that is not your team captain’s fault.

HelenP, July 13, 2021 at 8:52 pm

https://ragbrai.com/about/general-information/
General Information: questions & guides

REGISTRATION
Refunds and Selling or Transferring Tags

“Registration fees will become non-refundable after April 15. To request a refund, contact the RAGBRAI office at info@ragbrai.com by April 15.”

It sounds very much like you owe Bob both the cost of your registration, and a major apology — preferably a public apology since you had the worst kind of manners to badmouth him in public by name. By your description, you had already passed the official date to cancel your registration and, even if not, you had no excuse to behave like that towards another person. And where do you get off, insulting the entire population of Iowa, too?

People who lead teams often do all that extra work because they are exceptionally nice — he was most likely doing you a big favor. Even now, Bob might help you to sell the registration.

Next time, I suggest you assume less, and communicate more with experienced people. I’m new, too, and will have only have had a bike for two months total — and that’s what I’ve been doing, including reading information posted online.

Take a breath, relax, realize it’s just a *ride* to enjoy with other people (not a frantic race), and good luck!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI