RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Beginner questions

1) Where do you stay saturday night before the ride?
2) Why do they not allow your single bag to be hard sided? Seems like the best way to keep things from getting squished. Is this to force you to use a charter or luggage service?
3) Does anyone know a charter service that leaves from the end town, to the start town, in the evening? I’m running a 3 mile obsticle course saturday morning.

83 Replies

jjshoe, December 28, 2010 at 11:30 am

Also, if I don’t go with a charter service, willI be able to find places to charge my phone, and a good air pump in the mornings to make sure my tires are ready for the day? I presume it’s just a matter of asking neighbors nicely at the various camp sites.

Michrider !!!, December 28, 2010 at 11:40 am

jjshoe said: Also, if I don’t go with a charter service, willI be able to find places to charge my phone, and a good air pump in the mornings to make sure my tires are ready for the day? I presume it’s just a matter of asking neighbors nicely at the various camp sites.

Carry your charger with you and plug it in anytime you see an available outlet.  Many people carry floor pumps in their bags.  If you don’t want to bring your own pump, ask to borrow one.  Soft sided bags take up less space than hard sided.  They can get more soft sided bags into a semi trailer.  You will have a blast!

Tony, December 28, 2010 at 11:50 am

1) The start town has camp sites for the riders. Saturday is the Expo. Its also the day most riders come into town. Some riders will come in on Friday.

2) I believe its because hard cases do not hold up as well. If a hinge breaks, its done. Our charter service allows two soft bags per rider. No one forces you to use a charter. You will find many that will suggest charters are the best way to go for your first time.

3) There are only a few official charter services. All charters are listed on the RAGBRAI website. Check the list for return information. They all have specific stagging towns. January 29 RAGBRAI will announce the route. If you use a charter. Most will arrange transportation for you. Our charter stages in Davenport Iowa. We provide free week parking for our riders. Transportation to and from RAGBRAI for  you, your luggage, and bike for a nominal fee.

jwsknk, December 28, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Official Bike shops are set up along the route, their locations on the maps. At least one on the way out of the first town, stop and ask to use their pump if you don’t see anyone around in the camp. But asking to borroy a pump is a good way to meet more people.
Agree about the soft bags, easier to more on and toss, they will be tossed. Our club alows 2.
Most people get into the start town on Saturday, we leave Des Moines around 10:30 and stop for lunch on the way out.
Anyone on here tried tho solar chargers? saw a few last year on bikes.

Amanda, December 28, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I doubt if there is a charter that leaves the end town on Saturday evening to go to the start town. It would take an est. 5- 6 hours to get to the start and who wants to set up camp that late in the evening.

jjshoe, December 28, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Amanda, setting up a tent is childs play, also why I laugh at the fully inclusive charters charging $400+ for tent/bed service.

As far as who wants to setup camp late in the evening? Me.

jwsknk, December 28, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I think the charters that charge that much include the tent for the week so if you are coming in from a long ways that’s one thing you don’t need to pack and bring with. And during the ride your bag is in the tent whenever pou get into camp, all you need to do in the morning is pack it and leave it in the tent, they load the truck. I don’t mind setting up late either, but the trucks need to get in early to make sure they have their spot and for the early riders who don’t like to hang on the road after noon. Yeah I know I don’t get that, but everyone can do the ride however they want to.

Amanda, December 28, 2010 at 5:03 pm

If it’s just one person is setting up a tent, that’s fine, but I was thinking if our club all came in at 1:00AM. Sheer chaos! Unloading the bags, getting spots and all the stuff. It would be difficult. Especially if you were in a campground. 

I wouldn’t want to miss the first night’s fun. The start town usually has good bands and lots of stuff to do. everyone has plenty of energy and and you get see all your friends from previous years.

Sandaltan ., December 28, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Any possible way to wiggle out of that obstacle course jjshoe?? 

RIDE RIGHT (hee  hee)

jjshoe, December 28, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Not a chance I want to wiggle out of it!

http://www.warriordash.com/register2011_minnesota.php

“Bicycle Bill”, December 29, 2010 at 2:54 am

jjshoe said: Not a chance I want to wiggle out of it!

http://www.warriordash.com/register2011_minnesota.php

Sounds like a hoot and a half.  Top it off, it’s only a couple hours drive from where I live; I’ve skied that area.  You’re gonna be doing a lot of up and down…..

-“BB”-

Michrider !!!, December 29, 2010 at 5:41 am

Amanda said: If it’s just one person is setting up a tent, that’s fine, but I was thinking if our club all came in at 1:00AM. Sheer chaos! Unloading the bags, getting spots and all the stuff. It would be difficult. Especially if you were in a campground. 

I wouldn’t want to miss the first night’s fun. The start town usually has good bands and lots of stuff to do. everyone has plenty of energy and and you get see all your friends from previous years.

Princess, I thought your cousin the Navy Seal was acting as your tent sherpa this year!

Amanda, December 29, 2010 at 6:22 am

Of course, I won’t be setting up my tent! Sheesh, that would be asking a lot of the Princess! Yes, my tent-setting-up Seal is coming. I was concerned about the rest of the commoners. I do care about my people of RAGBRAIland!

Amanda, December 29, 2010 at 6:25 am

Maybe you’ll have to drive to the tart town on your own then join a charter that brings you back to the start town to your car. Just a thought. I’m sure that would be a lot of extra driving but that is an option.

robinett2, December 29, 2010 at 8:17 am

As a 1st timer also, I am looking for a charter service.  I see you guys are talking about services, but didn’t say what ones.  Can you give a recommendation?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI