RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Beginner questions

1) Where do you stay saturday night before the ride?
2) Why do they not allow your single bag to be hard sided? Seems like the best way to keep things from getting squished. Is this to force you to use a charter or luggage service?
3) Does anyone know a charter service that leaves from the end town, to the start town, in the evening? I’m running a 3 mile obsticle course saturday morning.

83 Replies

Michrider !!!, January 18, 2011 at 6:22 pm

TurtleKid said:

robinett2 said: As a 1st timer also, I am looking for a charter service.  I see you guys are talking about services, but didn’t say what ones.  Can you give a recommendation?

I would recommend Bubba’s Pampered Peddlers. My mom and I rode with them last year and I really liked him and all the other workers.

I traveled with Bubba last year.  However, this year I’m going with Porkbelly Ventures.  I’ve traveled with them for 3 years.  I recommend them highly! 
http://www.pkbelly.com/

Miles, January 22, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Last year, when I was only lurking this board, someone posted a link to some webpage that listed links to other multi-day bike tours webpages.  I checked it out, but didnt bookmark it then.
Now, this year I plan to add a 2nd tour to my summer, anytime after RAGBRAI(late summer, early autumn).
The problem is I am having a hard time getting some kind of comprehensive listing of multi-day bike tours.  I can find the GRABAAWR and SAGBRAW,
some ride in Kansas, Ride the Rockies, but those are in June (too early).

Does anyone here know of such a web page that assembles such a list of bike tours ?
Does anyone know of any such rides that occur after RAGBRAI ?

Thanks for any information about this little quandry of mine.

(I’m doing this ‘research’ while passing the time waiting for the next ‘winter weather advisory‘ to begin today at 6pm.)

Miles

“Bicycle Bill”, January 22, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Several ways of doing this.  I would suggest going to bikeleague.org (the site of the League of American Bicyclists) and becoming a member; they send out an almanac annually which lists this sort of stuff.  As a side note, they are based in Baltimore, not that far from the Washington DC, and they are the recognized voice/activist organization for cyclists on the national level.  Most of your state or grassroots groups for cyclists’ issues are affiliated with or work with this group.

Another source is Adventure Cycling (formerly Bikecentennial), HQed in Missoula MT.  Site: adventurecycling.org

But your best source might be through the NBTDA (Nat’l Bicycle Tour Directors Assn), based out of Lanesboro MN.  Our old friend Dave Harrenstein, who used to be the head honcho at this BB back in the good ol’ days, is the current Administrator of this group.  Check the calendar on their site at NBTDA.com

-“BB”-

Sandaltan ., January 22, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Miles:  Good friends have done LAGBRAU and loved it.  Take a look…http://www.lagbrau.com/

Probably too much climbing to suit me on LAGBRAU.  When a ride is advertised as “scenic” I envision mountains.  

Take a look a Cycle Oregon also.  Several friends have done that one three and four times. 

RIDE RIGHT (BB is correct, NBTDA is the mother ship of commercial bike rides)

Miles, January 23, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Thanks Sandaltan.
Riding in Utah has been something I’ve been considering.
I’ve riden in Grand Junction Colorado more than a few times.
GJ is 12 miles from the Utah border.  I love the area, it’s good for biking, mountain and road.
I checked out the LAGBRAU site, and it looks promising, if not this year, then next.

crazikate, January 30, 2011 at 10:19 pm

My sister and I are traveling with the pork belly crowd. It’s still tent camping no matter how you slice it.

Davy Sprocket, January 31, 2011 at 5:42 am

crazikate said: My sister and I are traveling with the pork belly crowd. It’s still tent camping no matter how you slice it.

I have never heard anything bad about PBV, except they are a bit pricey.

Michrider !!!, January 31, 2011 at 6:38 am

Davy Sprocket said:

crazikate said: My sister and I are traveling with the pork belly crowd. It’s still tent camping no matter how you slice it.

I have never heard anything bad about PBV, except they are a bit pricey.

Kate, my friends and I will be traveling with Porkbellies!  I’ve been with them before and they do a great job.  PBV’s service can’t be beat!!!! 

Viewing 8 replies - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI