PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

Bent Riders ( Recumbent Bike Riders drop a line in this post and say hi)

The Bent Riders will now be communicating in the main forum.

We are just a bunch of people who ride Recumbent Bikes and Trikes.

If you ride any brand or Recumbent Bike or Trike please drop a line in the post and say hi!

I look forward to meeting many of you this year as there seems to be more and more of us.

Thanks,

Jason

12 Replies

Bruce Woodrow, May 7, 2018 at 6:43 pm

Greenspeed GTO
My ride is a tadpole trike, made in Australia. My first RAGBRAI was 2017. I am riding again this year.

I camp with Team Sprint (Sprint Selzer Bicycle Club) but, at my relatively slow speed, ride with the ever-changing crowd.

LawnchairMan, May 7, 2018 at 8:55 pm

Hi ‘bent riders,

Is this like an AA meeting? My name is Scott, and I AM a recumbent rider. Started riding a recumbent cold turkey twelve years ago. I’ve been diamond frame free for two years now. My real addiction is talking about my ‘bent.

I’m excited about putting a set of Enve SES 7.8 wheels on my Carbent. I had Zipp Firecrest 404’s before, but these are faster. The Enve’s roll better and are more aero. Now I can climb some hills in my middle chainring where I had to use my granny before. I think my average speed is up almost a mile per hour! I’m eager to see how it will do at Ragbrai this year. I know Ragbrai is not about speed, but the better prepared, the more I can enjoy riding in Iowa.

Oh, here is something I can share. I’ve started using Rock n Roll Gold chain lube. I truly believe it makes pedaling easier.

Hope to meet some of you this year. I usually yell “Recumbent Power!” as I pass a fellow ‘bent rider. Looking forward to it!

Best,

Scott

P.S. Hope nobody falls off the wagon!

Joshua Kraling, May 9, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Will (hopefully) be riding my TT Rover this year!! I’ve signed up but other circumstances may prevent me from riding this year.

bheifner0815, May 10, 2018 at 1:27 pm

Just bought a used Burley Canto – now I understand the “recumbant grin”. No butt pain and a lot of fun to ride (although climbing seems a bit slower). I might have to retire my road bike…

Bruce

Geoff Butland, May 10, 2018 at 9:36 pm

Hi! Slipstream rider checking in. Second year on this bike, second RAGBRAI.

Jason Stoller, May 15, 2018 at 12:15 am

I have ridden several Ragbrai events. I had to pull out in the middle in 2016 because my Bicuspid Aorta Valve an Ascending Aneurysm was acting up enough a high profile Cardiologist in a Major hospital in Chicago told me to get out and finally decided to replace it. I missed Ragbrai last year because the Cardiac Surgeon who replaced my Aorta Valve and put a sleeve on my Ascending Aneurysm also decided to give me a free Infection at no extra charge. So I ended another Surgery and 2 stints at my local hospital to get my chest cracked open again and rid of the complimentary infection from the first surgery.

So when this year came around I thought I would be ready to go. The weather had finally given us a break so we can train. Unfortunately for me I have a lot of catching up to do. I understand very well that its important to be prepared for Ragbrai especially if you ride a Recumbent Trike like I do. In the past I have ridden Ragbrai on a Hase Lepus that I modified with a Mountain Drive in Front and Triple Chain Rings. I have toured with that combination so it was perfect for climbing hills at Ragbrai. The next year I switched to riding my HP Velotechnik FS 26 Scorpion which I modified to have 81 gears ( although some came that way), oversized disc hydraulic brakes, and the gearing of my choice. I know how important it is to be able to spin up a hill. My Scorpion FS 26 worked out great for several Ragbrai’s and I know I have the right gearing. I really love the full suspension.

You might have noticed in the picture I post I have a Canopy. The Canopy certainly comes in handy. While it might slow me down a little it is worthwhile. Back in 2016 I remember climbing something like 3000 feet in 104 degree weather. Trust me its a lot easier to do if you have some shade over your head.

I have a couple of other changes I am considering for this year. I know I am slower than some of the other people out there but I am working on it.

I also have a two wheel Recumbent with 81 speeds and suspension but I have never ridden a 2 wheel Recumbent during a Ragbrai. Maybe someday. Right now I am going to stay with Trikes.

Some of you may know me from the Bent Riders forum as ComicDom1.

I am very friendly and I usually attend Recumbent Cycle Con each year. I do occasionally write an article that may appear in Recumbent and Tandem Magazine.

ComicDom1
Jason

Evan Guyer, May 19, 2018 at 7:59 pm

Hi fellow “bents” , I’m a newbie this year. I grew up in Cedar Rapids but left in late 70’s and finally getting back to try the last 2 days this year.
I’m on a TT traveler trike, it has a Nuvinchi 380 on the back, and it’s getting a Patterson Metropolis on the front now. I rode a 2 wheel Haluzek Horizon for a few years and loved it, but stopping on a hill wasn’t fun! Hoping to keep up with you all, happy trails!

Dan, May 20, 2018 at 5:50 pm

I’ll be back for my second RAGBRAI, this time on a Bacchetta TiAero. My previous RAGBRAI was 2013 on a Bacchetta Strada. I’ll be travelling with Pork Belly Ventures. See you folks in the corn!

scottonbike, May 20, 2018 at 9:00 pm

I have previously ridden a diamond frame bike for three or fours years, was talked into a Vision SWB USS and did that for about 14 years and the last two have been on a Volae SWB OSS. I am now thinking about a Grasshopper which will fold and have 20 ” wheels. Say “hello” when you pass me up, but rest assured I will get to where I am going and will then have a smile on my face. Cause, well you know, a recumbent bike/trike is so damn comfy.

LawnchairMan, May 20, 2018 at 10:03 pm

Hi Dan,

Congrats on the TiAero. That should make a big difference in your speed and effort. I too upgraded from a Strada. When I made the switch I was doing a mile and a half per hour faster. I still have the Strada and use it when my Carbent is in for repair or if I want a harder workout.
I will be camping with Brancel, but if we are in the same area I will look for you.

Scott

Jason Stoller, June 2, 2018 at 1:47 am

Hope everyone is doing well. I lost a couple of weeks of training that I hope I can make up so I will be ready for Ragbrai. I had a physician that decided to tell me no cycling for at last few weeks while he decided my fate for Ragbrai and ran some tests so he could make up his mind. Needless to say I understand he is looking out for me but I am kind of angry and I hope I can train well enough not to have any issues this year. So I am doing what I have to do including making a few adjustments to my Trike.

So now that I have finally been turned loose I hope I have enough time to get my recumbent legs back under me and get acclimated to the weather as it is warming up.

Hope to see you all out there.

Jason

mike garcia, June 2, 2018 at 6:37 am

Joshua, if you can not make the trip, and I hope you can, I need a week long pass for myself. I will be on my bachetta ti or a streetmachine. This would be my 10th ragbrai if I can find a pass. Good luck . My cell 630 523 3612, mike

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014