The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Best Food of the Week?

My group loves to seek out the best church dinners at overnight towns…I saw a discussion forum here with people griping about the worst food rip offs, so I thought I would do the opposite and look to give kudos to the best food on the ride!

My mind is torn between two of the best dinners I have had in recent memory…

#1 – Carroll, IA Church of Christ.  Broasted chicken, green beans, scalloped potatoes and pie…not only was the food amazing, but the volunteers taking pie orders and refilling drinks were awesome and completely entertaining!

#2 – Grinnell, IA Methodist Church.  Chicken & Noodles on a mound of REAL mashed potatoes, cole slaw, green beans, dinner roll, and pie.  While we waited for our number to be called for seating we were entertained by an awesome live band in the air conditioned sanctuary!

Anyone else have some excellent food experiences and want to give a shout out here?

-Deb

7 Replies

ktvoelz, August 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Hi Ms. Deb.

I would like to give serious Kudos to all the pass-thru towns on the entire route on the final day.  The usual is for a mad scramble into the tire dip followed by a quick exodus to get home.  The pass-thrus in past years have been limited in eats, entertainment and all.  Special recognition to Moscow, Wilton, Durant and Walcott for providing a welcoming experience during the final day.

While we were sitting in Walcott enjoying shade and treats our friends found the ever present Smoothies, then a pile of Corn on the cob to be followed with a neighbor handing out free bottles of water.

Such a warm and welcoming response for Day 7!

Hammockweaver, August 15, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I missed the meal at Carroll, but I did have the chicken and noodles! When our sag driver told us that was what we were having I was less than thrilled, being from the northeast I had never experienced such a thing. It is THE most memorable meal of the entire week! Is this a “regional” dish? I was talking to a friend who had travelled out that way and had this served to them as well. Most of the food I ate on ragbrai was just so/so, but the chicken and noodles, to die for!

rockman68, August 15, 2011 at 8:29 pm

The turkey noodles (on mashed taters) at Adventure Life Church in Altoona were excellent.

As a lifelong southerner, I’ve eaten many variations of poultry mixed / stewed with pasta/grain-like substances. I have never seen such things served with taters. I have to admit that I was impressed. Dr. Atkins would never approve, but did he ever do a RAGBRAI? Carbohydrates rule.

I should have eaten a lot more turkey noodles. A couple of hours later, I had to eat a half rack of pork ribs and a basket of fries for dessert. (also excellent)

I felt absolutely GREAT the following day on the bike. I may turn this into my official pre-ride meal ritual. I’ll just need to find a local BBQ restaurant that is serving ribs at 10:00 pm every Friday.

Gus Riley, October 10, 2011 at 6:59 pm

The BBQ ribs in pass through town Baxter! 

Mary, October 11, 2011 at 11:14 am

I had some really amazing lasagna in  Grinnell!  Gluten Free!!!  Prepared and looked/taste(I’m guessing) just like the regular lasagna they were serving!!  It was served in the church across the street from the Bikes To You bike shop.

canadagoosecana, August 21, 2014 at 7:50 am

[url=http://fr.swisswatchesforsale.org/]swiss replica watches Mouvement mécanique à remontage[/url]
[url=http://www.swisswatchesforsale.org/fr/]swiss replica watches Mouvement mécanique à remontage[/url][url=http://fr.swisswatchesforsale.org/]élevé des répliques de montres de qualité pour hommes[/url]

[url=http://fr.swisswatchesforsale.org/]swiss replica watches Mouvement mécanique à remontage[

Jboz, August 22, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I had lots of great food, after all it’s RAGBRAI – but the biggest surprise for me was Casey’s breakfast pizza. I’m from Chicago, and yes I’m a bit of a pizza snob – so my expectations were extremely low. After all it’s gas station/convenience store pizza. I was beyond surprised…more like flabbergasted. Was this a fluke, or is Casey’s pizza always that good?

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014