Best Tenderloin Ever

Last year I went into Ottumwa after having dinner at our campsite. As I was walking through the vendors area, I noticed a long line in front of one of the trailers. After closer observation, I realized they were getting a tenderloin sandwich like I had never seen before. I had already eaten dinner but couldn’t pass up this opportunity for desert so I got in line. I was stuffed but with no regrets. Hands down it was the best tenderloin I’d ever eaten. I took a picture of the vendors trailer so I could revisit their restaurant when I come up from Houston, Texas this Christmas. They were from Chillicothe, Iowa and called “The Barnyard” Express. I was planning on bringing my family up to Centerville, Iowa for Christmas this year to visit my wife’s side of the family and just hang out in her home town for awhile. I’ve been promising them the best tenderloin ever. Unfortunately, I found out this vendor use to have a restaurant but now only operates a trailer for special events such as RAGBRAI. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A REAL TENDERLOIN WITHin 50 MILES OF CENTERVILLE, IOWA? Ok, 75 miles. It has to be pure, white pork tenderloin and not the grey stuff they try to pass off as tenderloin. I told my wife if I can’t find a place to get a real one, I may just cancel the whole trip.

7 Replies

Sandaltan ., November 30, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Breaded Pork Tenderloin Central – –
http://des-loines.blogspot.com/2012/06/bridge-cafe-supper-club-in-farmington.html

One of my favorite spots for the BPT is ToJo’s in Jamacia, a 76 mile round trip ride four us and worth it. Sorry but out of way for you, however; the BPT abounds in Iowa.

Ride Right

Sandaltan ., November 30, 2016 at 2:19 pm

More mouthwatering information.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/entertainment/2016/10/14/best-pork-tenderloin-iowa/92010778/

An “informed source” has recommended Casey’s General Stores for a BPT when you are on the go and in a hurry. He says don’t take the one already prepared laying in the warming cabinet but ask them to cook a fresh one. I have yet to try one. HyVees have them also I might again ask them to cook a fresh one.

RIDE RIGHT

swiifg, December 1, 2016 at 9:58 am

I believe it was in Centerville, we got a great tenderloin at a little walk-up permanent building on the northeast corner of the square. It’s a locally owned business that may run year-round. Good luck!

swiifg, December 1, 2016 at 10:06 am

I correct myself, it was the night before the century loop – that would make it Leon.

GetAClue Blue, December 1, 2016 at 1:56 pm

We will be in Centerville most of the time so will make a trip over to leon and try to locate the place. Thx.

GetAClue Blue, December 1, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Thx Sandaltan. Jamaica may be a stretch. Good to know if I’m ever up there tho.

igor, December 6, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Suzie-Q in Mason City. That was one awesome pork tenderloin sandwich!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015