Bicycle Ride from Sheldon to Le Mars

The Connector Ride!
Rather than end up in Rock Rapids and take a shuttle to Le Mars, I think it would be better to ride from Sheldon directly to Le Mars on July 18th.

My thought would be to establish, and share widely, a scenic route plan from Sheldon to Le Mars. If there is enough interest, we could even do a big group ride, planned start times, or something similar. I would like to avoid the traffic on Route 60, so I was thinking of sticking to smaller roads. It looks like riding parallel to Rt 60, but keeping the Floyd River between the ride and Rt 60 would result in a simple, but nice route. Staying north-west of the river to Alton, then south east of the river the rest of the way.

I would like advice on routes in the general area if anyone has any insight. Any insight on places to eat, get bike repair, or just visit, along the way in, Hospers, and in Alton would be great.

I would also like to find some groups to shuttle luggage, offer repairs, a sag-wagon, etc.

Hopefully there will be enough people planning a similar ride that we could get a little support from the locals, especially in Hospers and Alton.

If you are interested in such a ride, lets start planning!
Thanks!

This topic was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by NYC Highwheeler.

7 Replies

Sandaltan ., January 30, 2020 at 6:44 pm

10th Street Pub in Alton has cold beer, good food and a reputation for supporting bicyclists.

Ride Right

Rene Borrero, January 30, 2020 at 9:47 pm

wow. this is a brilliant idea I think I might do this. instead to finish at Rock Rapids. it might as well continue to RAGBRAI this is excellent idea. a group will be nice and if we can find someone to carry our bags the morning we are leaving Sheldon, is even better. thanks.

genefruit, January 31, 2020 at 7:14 am

Here’s a paved route option with less traffic – https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31847772

John Richardson, January 31, 2020 at 8:21 am

Certainly something to think about. Although HWY 60 is a major highway it does have a nice wide shoulder/bike lane which I find quite appealing.

NYC Highwheeler, February 1, 2020 at 3:06 pm

Thanks for the great responses so far! These are exactly the types of things I’m looking for.

I did not realize that many of the roads I was looking at were gravel. (Google adds a gray overlay that makes it hard to tell.) While I like the idea of a gravel ride that stays close to the river, I think it would be a lot more inclusive to stick to pavement, and a much smaller chance of taking a wrong turn. Perhaps if there is a group who wants gravel, we could have the paved and gravel routs meet up in Hospers and Carnes (Puddle Jumper Trail connects Alton and Orange City). The route genefruit posted looks great, and I really like the idea of riding through Orange City. Seems like a great place for food and other services on a Saturday afternoon.

Keep those great responses coming!

Sandaltan ., February 1, 2020 at 4:01 pm

The Iowa Bicycle Map is free or view and print the online version.
https://iowadot.gov/iowabikes/transportation-map-for-bicyclists
I don’t leave home without it

RIDE RIGHT

Papa T, February 1, 2020 at 5:00 pm

Most awesome! Great ride! Why not Print the route out and hand them out in Dubuque? I will hand out my share! GOD! This thing just gets better and better!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015