RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Bicycle windshields?

Does anyone have any experience with the cycle windshields you see sometimes? I was reviewing videos on YOUTUBE and noticed a couple of riders with widshields attached. I had a cycle shop saleman tell me they block a headwid and they catch a tail wind. Made it sound like a no lose situation if you installed one but I’m not so sure. Anyone know the pros and cons of widshields?

17 Replies

“Bicycle Bill”, March 1, 2012 at 4:48 pm

They are generally called ‘fairings’ rather than windshields, and they do have their advantages if running at speed. Most of them are flexible enough that they don’t work well as a sail; otherwise a strong crosswind could theoretically catch them and wrench the handlebars right out of your grip.

In addition, they are not cheap, and a lot of the newer bikes don’t have the access points needed to mount them. For the amount of money and weight involved, I’d recommend installing fenders instead; at least those are more likely to serve a useful purpose.

-“BB”-

Tony, March 1, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I’ve only seen fairings on lawn chair bikes. The do help aerodynamics slightly. They also increase your profile for crosswinds. Personally I think there a waste of money.

SFC JKL 2, March 1, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I had a friend who rode a Tour EZ with the windshield and a sock fairing. The thing was soaked with sweat and an excellent mobile sauna. But he thought it was “cool” so he kept using it. Even though it’s a great bike, you couldn’t have paid me to ride that thing.

Ragbrai Nation, March 4, 2012 at 7:12 am

They are a gimmick. A rather ugly one at that.

Sandaltan ., March 4, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I have one and don’t use it. It came with the bike. You can get along without it unless you are into setting speed records on flat ground.

RIDE RIGHT

longrider42, March 4, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Yes, there called Fairings, and mostly are used on Recimbent bikes. However a copany called Zzipper, sells fairings for upright bikes too.

http://www.zzipper.com/home.php

But they are not cheap, and not a gimmick either.

Sandaltan ., March 5, 2012 at 9:05 am

Indeed you can go faster with a fairing. A couple years ago we had a loaner vintage Schwinn Paramount tandem set up for speed, big chain ring the size of a pie plate, Campy components and Phil Wood hubs front and rear. Probably around 1975 vintage bicycle and state of the art at that time. The bike owners had added a bubble fairing that Velcroed to the brake hoods and when both riders got into a tuck behind that fairing the bike was WICKED FAST!! It was way too much bike for us but we kept it for a year and did a few rides and had a little fun with it. Tires were 27 x 1 1/4 and that rear wheel was not easy to remove because of the curious design of the Phil Wood hub as I remember.

Land speed records are set with fairings. Not a gimmick.

RIDE RIGHT

Michrider !!!, March 5, 2012 at 9:09 am

So ST, if I get put a fairing on my 30 pounder, I can set a land speed record, LOL?????

Sandaltan ., March 5, 2012 at 9:48 am

Michrider:
So ST, if I get put a fairing on my 30 pounder, I can set a land speed record, LOL?????

Personal records are within your grasp. Just set that Bud Light down and don’t let anyone KURB your enthusiasm!!

RIDE RIGHT

Michrider !!!, March 5, 2012 at 10:39 am

Sandaltan: Personal records are within your grasp.Just set that Bud Light down and don’t let anyone KURB your enthusiasm!!

RIDE RIGHT

“Bicycle Bill”, March 5, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Michrider:

Maybe if you’re going downhill…..

-“BB”-

Sandaltan ., March 5, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Down from Grand Bluff maybe Beebs???? That is is hill and half for sure.

RIDE RIGHT

Michrider !!!, March 5, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Sandaltan:
Down from Grand Bluff maybe Beebs???? That is is hill and half for sure.

RIDE RIGHT

What the hell is a grand bluff??????

ukulelebentrider, March 5, 2012 at 8:54 pm

The thing I have noticed about fairings is, although useful, they cutdown on the windflow that would be used to cool down your body. The effect isn’t a lot, but one of the reasons I enjoy riding is the feel of the wind in my face.

“Bicycle Bill”, March 5, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Michrider: What the hell is a grand bluff??????

Michrider: What the hell is a grand bluff??????

He’s referring to Bliss Road, which leads to a park approximately 600 feet above the city on top of one of the river bluffs here in La Crosse. The bluff has been named “Grandad Bluff”; the road — which is an extension of Main Street — is a winding, twisty, 7/8-mile run that can definitely test one’s bike handling skills. It was the scene of my worst bike accident in terms of damages to the bike (2nd-worst in terms of bodily injury to myself).

But I can show you a couple of others in the immediate vicinity where you can get a much better (read straighter) run from about the same elevation and can really build up a head of steam on the way down — no fairings needed.

-“BB”-

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI