Biggest Food Ripoff on RAGBRAI XXXIX

My nominee for this year is the “Wonder Sub”, which was advertised on several signs the first day, and, I believe, sold in Griswold.  Four dollars bought me a submarine roll coated with chicken salad spread slightly more thickly than one would apply mayonnaise.

52 Replies

tarmac52, July 31, 2011 at 2:08 pm

For me it was the $1.50 for an apple.  $1.50 for an apple?  Even the kid who was running the stand choked when I asked him how much.  When he said $1.50… I walked across teh street and got two waters and two banana’s for  $2.00.  Sorry dude, but even when I dying for food, I’m not paying $1.50 for one flipping apple.

Glennp, July 31, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I nominate a stand that sold curled potato and fried meats.  Five bucks for lemon aid and six buck for the fried potato. The owner was rude to his stall and I notice that they spoke Russian to them self. No American people would put up with his crap.

tiki, July 31, 2011 at 3:59 pm

How about the amish with $5 ice cream and they don’t even churn it themselves, they use a gas generator, hypocrites.

amyo, July 31, 2011 at 4:06 pm

My vote is for the original Wilton candy/ice cream store, 151 years old, in Wilton. Nevermind the limited menu….understandable considering the crowd.  BUT….

George, the owner, who looked like he was 151 years old, was the only person scooping ice cream, making shakes, filling orders….and my strawberry sundae consisted of less than a half cup of ice cream and about a tablespoon of topping, which was mostly syrup.  For $3.  I think George hoodwinked all the good people of RAGBRAI who bothered going into his shop.  Sorry…not worth it.

stuckinmizzou, July 31, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Lanesboro – The $1.00 I paid for 4 oz. of “Lemonade” that looked like and tasted like fruit punch…I looked at it and said “really?”…and the lady behind the counter didn’t even say you’re welcome…. 

CyclingRoberto, July 31, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Buck fifty for a thin slice of watermelon (no thanks) and two bucks for a cup of “Gatorade” out of a jug (no way).  I thought there were a few good deals, but by and large the prices are getting a bit out of hand.  5 bucks for a slice of pizza is really high.  4 bucks for a double espresso also high.

kenimus, July 31, 2011 at 11:05 pm

3 dollars for 1/2 a shot of whiskey. just seemed to me if you were promoting your product you would not up sell it then skimp on it. templton should do the math that a new costomer is worth more then a single sale. not really food but same dif

Brent Feller, August 1, 2011 at 6:05 am

A dollar for water ? most  towns had free water and you can buy 36 bottles for 4,99 at Hyvee. Now .50 I can see. the food price were very high this year. 

Michrider !!!, August 1, 2011 at 6:27 am

I had no problem with locals selling drinks for a buck or two.  Miles from any town or store, in that kinda heat, I needed fluids!  Overall, I found very few real rip offs for food and or fluids.  I figure that I’m a visitor and I should be willing to pay for services offered!  I especially liked the stands run by families in their front lawn!

jwsknk, August 1, 2011 at 9:46 am

$3 for 1/8 of an 8 inch pie. Thats $24 for an entire pie. seems a little high.

SFC JKL 2, August 1, 2011 at 10:09 am

Pastafari always seemed really high to me.  $7 for a shot fo Templeton Rye was rediculous.  A few places were pushing $4 beer.   No problem with $1 bottles of water.  The people are just trying to make a buck and I’ve seen many times where bad weather has destroyed some areas.  I’m just glad they still show up. A few days would have been unbarrable without roadside vendors.

Noontidal, August 1, 2011 at 10:23 am

Just went back by and those places selling beer for $3-4 a pop were all back down to 1.50 – 2.00. 

Ragbrai – an alternate reality where homecooking is no-quality low quantity while gas-station food is high quality and value.  I tried Pastafari one day to see what it was about, and yep, as a traditional item it is ultra-low quality ‘italian’ food for massively high prices.  Traditional = excuse to charge 5-10x what a given item is worth.

Mich – I am glad somebody appreciates being scammed.

gingerjet, August 1, 2011 at 10:36 am

I found most food to be a rip off.  Dry pulled pork, burnt hotdogs, overpriced fruit, and badly made burrito’s.  Frankly – Iowa failed to show off that they have the ability to cook meat. 

I found only the fruit smoothies and ice cream truly worth it.  But on the last day the guy I bought the strawberry smoothie from kept trying to push a burrito on me. 

And can we get over the nostalgic notion that little old church ladies know how to cook?  Someone needs to give these people a crash course in the use of salt. 

Sandaltan ., August 1, 2011 at 11:55 am

Anybody been to their state fair lately???  Seen the prices for similar items under similar conditions???  Seven bucks for a bottle of Bud Light at the Iowa State Fair last year and four bucks for an ear of corn at the fair kinda made the RAGBRAI prices look cheap.

RIDE RIGHT

Wonder Woman, August 1, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I spent $5 on a breakfast burrito that turned out to be one of those El Monterrey ones you get for a buck at the grocery store, still in the package, been sitting there for hours. Not happy. 

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015