bike bag

I would appreciate some advice on bike bag/s for RAGBRAI. This is my first ride of which I plan to ride from Fairfield to Burlington – no overnight stay. I have a under the seat bag which holds the extra tube and repair supplies. I have a water bottle attached on the frame. Was thinking a front bag of some kind. What can you suggest? Thank you!

6 Replies

Matt Little, June 19, 2019 at 2:48 pm

Figure out what you need to take with you, then look on Amazon and pick a bag that will fit what you need. For one day, you shouldn’t need much…cash, sunscreen, camera, chamois cream…bare essentials

Uncle Kraig, June 19, 2019 at 3:50 pm

I cant imagine you will need anything more than that under seat bag for one day. Put your sunscreen and bug spray on in the morning and be on your way. You have a tube, repair tool, good to go. Put your cash, credit card, insurance card and emergency contact info in a ziploc and stick it in your jersey pocket. If I were you, I would think more about getting a second water bottle than I would an extra bag. Enjoy the day!

Heather, June 19, 2019 at 4:56 pm

I agree that another water bottle would be a very good idea.

Larry Klaaren, June 19, 2019 at 5:51 pm

I am a smaller guy and my frame will not hold two wter bottles. I do not think you need two water bottles. Every town has a water fill station. Keep your bottle full. Last year I carried my toilet paper (small packet packed like tissue paper), a small poncho, a small bottle of suntan lotion, a credit card holder with id, insurance cards and money, and my battery back up in my jersey pockets. I had a too small under the seat bag with a spare tube, tool kit, army knife, and on one day that I was visiting a friend on route, a bike lock. I had a phone holder on the handlebars. That was more stuff than I needed.

This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Larry Klaaren.

Heather, June 19, 2019 at 6:22 pm

If it gets hot and humid, one bottle might not be enough to go 18 miles.

DenBiker, June 19, 2019 at 7:02 pm

I agree with Uncle Kraig. His packing plan is perfect. I am not a fan of handlebar packs. Aside from taking up valuable space on the bars (I change hand position a lot), handlebar packs have a tendency (especially when loaded) to make steering more difficult. HOWEVER if you think you absolutely need to take more “stuff” let me offer this. On those days when I think I might need a rain jacket I roll it up tightly into tube shape and using a couple of mini bungy cords I attach it to the under side of my seat pack. I also have a small top tube pack which holds some of the jersey pocket stuff.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015