Bike Boom Box

Hi everyone. I’m in need of a bike boom box (those cylindrical tube speakers) for RAGBRAI (and beyond). May you refer me to someone who would be able to build it in time for this RAGBRAI?

Thanks a bunch!

16 Replies

Brian Wallenburg, June 25, 2018 at 9:15 pm

Jawbone, Big Jam Box, they work awesome. Plenty of power as in output and battery life. No build needed, just go to Best Buy.

jeffreydennis, June 25, 2018 at 9:37 pm

Depends on how big you want. I want personal music and use Buckshot 2

, June 26, 2018 at 4:10 am

Check out cathodecorner.com and click on Bike Boom Box ( not loud bike). 8 pounds weight , two 6 inch speakers, 15 watts and works with any Mp3 or smart phone with music app. This works well in a crowd where you can keep the volume low and clear, like when we ride with our friends in a group or you can really crank up the clarity when your out in the country alone.

T. Gap Woo, June 26, 2018 at 7:53 am

Boom box? I don’t need no stinkin’ boom box! I’ll belt out Broadway show tunes, songs from movie musicals and the occasional operatic piece. Although I’ve been told I couldn’t carry a tune in a sack, have a voice that shatters glass (I’ve already replaced three glass shower doors and one mirror) and have been offered a king’s ransom NOT to sing, I am undeterred!

Look (or listen) for me next month. I’ll be the cyclist riding by myself, with no one within a mile in front or behind me.

Right now, I’m off to scare the wildlife (I mean “train”) along the local bike trails.

See you along the I-O-Way in a few short weeks.

Michrider !!!, June 26, 2018 at 8:48 am

T. Gap, I totally agree! Happy B. Day is the only song I’m allowed to sing at home!!! Even then, my grandchildren cringe when I sing!!! My best singing is saved for RAGBRAI, especially on short stretches of lonely road! I don’t shout “on your left” but instead belt out my favorite medley of Barry Manilow tunes. I don’t sing well, just loud!!! We don’t need no more “Boom Boxes” on RAGBRAI!!!

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

KenH, June 26, 2018 at 8:16 pm

Personally I would prefer to hear TGW’s rendition of the greatest hits from Showboat!

Brian Wallenburg, June 26, 2018 at 10:29 pm

Mich, we need something to drown out Barry Manilow!

KenH, June 27, 2018 at 7:14 am

When I look at my post coming right after Michrider’s post I realize it gives the wrong impression. I’m fine with Michrider’s singing and Barry Manilow. I’m fine with any live music even if it is performed with more gusto than skill. It is boom boxes that I’d just as soon do without. I don’t hate them or those who use them but even so I’d be happier if you didn’t!

LawnchairMan, June 27, 2018 at 7:53 am

I will be bringing my Cycle Sound system this year. The creator of it passed recently, so this will be to honor him.

Most of my music selections are upbeat tunes to help with cadence. I was playing marching tunes up a hill once and the riders near me thanked me for the help. If anyone doesn’t like my choices, just let me know and I will pause until out of range. I too enjoy the natural ambient sounds sometimes.

T. Gap Woo, June 27, 2018 at 11:41 am

Personally I would prefer to hear TGW’s rendition of the greatest hits from Showboat!

KenH,

I’ll brush up on my rendition of “Old Man River” for the tire dip in Davenport. It probably won’t help, though, and will scare the fish away.

See you along the I-O-Way next month.

KenH, June 27, 2018 at 3:55 pm

You, me, Michrider, and can we get a fourth to make it a quartet? I bet we could scare away everything with fins, legs, or wings! I look forward to Old Man River!!

Joseph Finnegan, June 28, 2018 at 12:15 am

Leave it at home. Everyone thinks they have the best taste in music. They’re wrong. Plus for anyone passing you or being passed by you, it’s a few seconds of clear sound and too many seconds of undiscernable noise.

tjmiller01, June 28, 2018 at 5:02 pm

I’m pretty sure my taste in music is best. I’ll never forget the time a woman put her finger in her ear when she heard me playing the Beastie Boys covering Bennie and the Jets w/ Biz Markie. But in all seriousness, the JBL’s are real nice but I make my own with a 100 watt bluetooth amp and 6.5 polk audio speakers in an ammo box.

Mike Howe, June 28, 2018 at 6:25 pm

Everyone with a speaker seems to play only ac/dc. Im looking at getting a jbl blue tooth speaker that fits in a water bottle cage.

LawnchairMan, June 29, 2018 at 7:45 pm

Actually, I’m certain MY music choices are best. And boom boxes are a long Ragbrai tradition. But, I will make you a deal; get rid of the overnight bands, and I will gladly leave my Cycle Sound at home!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015