PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

bike / car accidents anyone been hit badly. I have

i liked to have gotton kiled on my bike back in 05. all the weight lifting along with the lords help. i survived. the lady hit me doing 70, mph. knocked in in the air for 120 feet. no breaks but beat up very badly in a frozen state for 10 days i was not suppose to make it. doctors told me that being hit like that , i should have been gone right then and there.

it tore out a lot of tissue in my glute area only for the INSIDE side. mri picked it up I was bruised from chest down badly. they were worried about me bleeding out. i had ocupational pherapy for 10 days.

i could not move. i was in a lazy boy chair. but on that 10th day i got up and walked around and started going to therapy. after 3 weeks i was back in the weight room, and after 3 months back on the bike. i can ride better than ever now. but i get saddle pain after about 40 miles of more.

SO WHATS YA’LLS STORY.

21 Replies

Michrider !!!, March 30, 2016 at 7:22 pm

Last year me and my bike both fell. I bruised my hip. My bike was not injured. However, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!!

Anonymous, March 30, 2016 at 8:26 pm

no but if you got hurt you would not make a blunt statement like that. btw, i am a Veteran. but i geuss that to does not matter to you. you are alittle inconsiderate.

Oma-wegian, March 30, 2016 at 8:37 pm

In all my time with RAGBRAI I have never before seen someone stand up and say “I am a Veteran, so you must respect me”.
I suggest that this year that you ask to ride with the Air Force Team. That may be humbling. Of course they have to take you because YOU are a veteran.

Oma-wegian, March 30, 2016 at 8:38 pm

I never felt the need to mention my service and still don’t. Oops, too late.

Sandaltan ., March 30, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Goodnight all.

RIDE RIGHT

SFC JKL 2, March 30, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Actually the Air Force team is really picky about who rides with them. They have more rules than you could ever imagine. No drinking, can’t ride in groups of more than three, and must stop for anyone with a flat whether they need help or not (which is why you always see them on the side of the road). They have some great people but a few who think they are much more important than they really are. We like having more fun than they are allowed. Ragbrai is our vacation, not a work day wearing a different uniform.

Richard, March 31, 2016 at 1:26 am

Last year before leaving Sioux City on Sunday morning, I happened to pass up a tandem with a couple that had a bike license plate that said Wisconsin on the back. I remember thinking, wow.. What a nice looking couple, and they are doing RAGBRAI together. This is a very ambitious couple! I am not 100 % positive it was that couple, but it turns out that after I had left town, right around the time I passed them a drunk driver had struck a tandem with a couple from Wisconsin in a hit and run! I guess I missed the accident by literally minutes, how far could I really have been ahead being that I had passed them going through town? I guess what I have learned from the situation, is that divers and sometimes other cyclists can act a little goofy, especially if alcohol is involved… Visualize and scan your path for any erratic drivers and if required, just stop your bike and exit the road if you have to.. Its not worth a altercation or worse! I hope the couple on the tandem will be back to ride RAGBRAI again this year and that did not impact their perception of the ride!

This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  Richard.

amateurcyclist, March 31, 2016 at 6:56 am

I remember hearing about that accident, on the first day of the ride no less. It Not only did the driver hit them, but she hit them just after ignoring a police officer to stay put.
https://ragbrai.com/2015/07/19/sioux-city-woman-charged-with-owi-in-ragbrai-crash/

Amanda, March 31, 2016 at 7:23 am

Oh honey,honey. Shaking my head here. There are tons of veterans on RAGBRAI- my friend Michrider is a former Navy guy. And there are veteran SEALS on the ride but they aren’t going to play the vet card.Each branch of the service is represented. Nurses, doctors, lawyers, plumbers, teachers- you name it, every occupation is represented on RAGBRAI. But on RAGBRAI we are all bikers with respect for all.

If you are in the VFW, bring your coin or you will be buying.

Even the official Princess of RAGBRAI (me) doesn’t use her royal card. Okay that might not be true.

ppayne1959, March 31, 2016 at 7:30 am

I had an accident once on my bike. I was in Ensenada and probably shouldn’t have drunk the water.

Bentongoing, March 31, 2016 at 7:36 am

ummm. Not that kind of accident. Did you get a new saddle?

KenH, March 31, 2016 at 8:14 am

In 2010 I was probably either hit by a car or lost control while making an extreme maneuver to avoid being hit by a car. All I know is that I woke up in the hospital with broken ribs, a punctured lung, a bruised or broken coccyx, and a severe concussion. I don’t remember the accident or anything that happened after lunch and before about 7 that evening. I’m fine now, probably thanks to my broken bicycle helmet which prevented the head injury from being even worse. The most unnerving thing is that since I do not remember what happened I don’t really know what I should do to prevent it from happening again. So I just have to try to be more aware of everything, which isn’t a bad thing!

My worst RAGBRAI accident was a classic clipless pedal fall. At the time I was in the habit of choosing a side to lean to when I stopped and just unclipping that shoe. I chose left, the bike chose right, and spilled me right into the ditch in front of Beekmans! Yeah, I was planning to get off the bike anyway so why didn’t I unclip BOTH shoes?!? I always do now…. Anyway the first dozen of you who witnessed my prowess in action kindly asked if I was all right and I was, and then finally someone asked the $64,000 question, is the bike OK?? It was and some Beekmans helped heal my broken and bruised ego!

jwsknk, March 31, 2016 at 10:34 am

Hit by a car that rolled a stop sign once, the city has now fixed that corner so people can actually see there. Did a pretty impressive handlebar dive playing MTB Polo. What could have been the worst was a trail ride (RRVT) where the rider in front of me ran out of trail , he pulled his front wheel back up on the pavement but the back didn’t make it. he went down hard and tumbled across the trail without getting run over. His bike however just slid right down the trail in front of me. I left 2 pretty good skid mark for awhile, until the back tire left the ground after the front caught up with his bike. In the end I was still clipped in, turned facing back the way we came from, and the 2 bikes managed to lock themselves together with my leg between them. The nurse who happened to be with us though maybe I broke right leg or hip the was it was trembling. turned out it was just because I was balanced right on a sensitive nerve spot and my left hand behind me. Pretty awkward position that I was stuck in until she got me out of my shoes leaving them clipped in.

Stanford, March 31, 2016 at 11:12 am

My brother was borrowing my bike and only slowed down for a stop sign before going through. He was hit by a car that had the right-of-way. Not only totaled MY bike but he had to pay damages to the car. He bent the car’s grill and shattered the windshield. But no one reimbursed me for a new bike. But he was only a college student at the time and I could better handle the lose. Plus he was ticketed for running the stop sign. He had a limp for the next year.

rjjensenia, March 31, 2016 at 11:19 am

A very close friend that I did my first ragbrai with in 1975 was hit by a drunk driverand died 2 weeks later never waking up from a coma.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014