bike / car accidents anyone been hit badly. I have

i liked to have gotton kiled on my bike back in 05. all the weight lifting along with the lords help. i survived. the lady hit me doing 70, mph. knocked in in the air for 120 feet. no breaks but beat up very badly in a frozen state for 10 days i was not suppose to make it. doctors told me that being hit like that , i should have been gone right then and there.

it tore out a lot of tissue in my glute area only for the INSIDE side. mri picked it up I was bruised from chest down badly. they were worried about me bleeding out. i had ocupational pherapy for 10 days.

i could not move. i was in a lazy boy chair. but on that 10th day i got up and walked around and started going to therapy. after 3 weeks i was back in the weight room, and after 3 months back on the bike. i can ride better than ever now. but i get saddle pain after about 40 miles of more.

SO WHATS YA’LLS STORY.

21 Replies

Anonymous, April 1, 2016 at 6:21 pm

wow!!

paulpeterson, March 4, 2019 at 4:23 pm

On RAGBRAI had a teenager falls in front of me at 6:30 am 2 miles out of town on Sunday morning. The ambulance told me that I was the first call of the day. Two mile trip back to the hospital with a lung injury. Kid that brought me down got up and left me there, a nurse on bike came along and called the ambulance. Two nights in the Mason City Hospital, ride over. Girl brought in shortly after me with two black eyes and needing 22 stitches to fix her face. The two of us were a mess. I now know why we have wrist bands on our bodies and bikes, so they can tell who we are and who the lone bike on the roadside belongs to.

Biker Paul

Biker Paul

This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by paulpeterson.

This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by paulpeterson.

KenH, March 4, 2019 at 7:07 pm

Mind your brains, this thread is a zombie!

Last year I stopped to make sure help had been called at an accident that was within 10 miles of the start. Narrow bike tires, wide centerline road crack, not certain but it was probably week over for the woman who was lying on the pavement. You need to be careful out there and there are no guarantees even when you are. I am nursing a lot of soreness from a walking fall last week on an ice patch obscured by a thin layer of new snow. It can happen anytime, anywhere!

It’s a good idea to register for the ride to get the best emergency care if you should need it. It’s a good idea to make sure you provided all the correct emergency contact information on your registration. It’s a good idea to get and use the “license plate” from the RAGBRAI registration desk to provide that contact information in an immediate fashion. It is a good idea to wear a medical information bracelet, dogtag, etc to provide access to your medical records and to keep those records updated. I use RoadID, but I believe there are several to choose from.

Sad news from New Orleans last night. Two dead, seven injured when a speeding car tried to pass another using the bike lane….

Most of us will not be seriously injured on this ride even if we ride it for decades. But some of us will and it makes sense to be well prepared just in case.

Roy Trent, March 4, 2019 at 8:29 pm

I have had several close calls but luckily I have not been hit-yet. Three years ago it seemed like I was completely invisible and every car either side swiped me, cut me off or turned into my lane. I switched to wearing bright yellow gear (helmet, socks, sun sleeves etc.), contrasting colors etc, I guess this and assuming every car is driven by a clueless driver is the best I can do.

mrwonderful, March 5, 2019 at 2:08 pm

On day one 2014 in Okoboji after a full day I was pooped and decided to stop at a Casey’s to grab some refreshment even though I only had a couple miles to go to camp. As I was pulling in an SUV came backing out at high speed. I only saw him for a second then I woke up in the ambulance. They life flighted me to South Dakota for some reason ( they should have sent me home-the opposite direction ). End of my hometown overnight in Mason City RAGBRAI! I was able to visit with my group when they made it Wednesday to Mason loaded with pain killers. My broken bloody helmet that I rarely wore saved me. I didn’t ride RAGBRAI the following year. But I’m back baby!

Henry Chilton, March 5, 2019 at 6:03 pm

Hit on chirstmas Eve 2018 by a car taking a tight left turn. Was going about 30mph and he unfortunately I did not see me. Got hit an was thrown down the street and got trapped under a park vehicle. Took me a few minutes to get out and much to my dismay the driver never stopped. Nothing broke on me or the bike(steel is real) but needed 17 stiches for my chin knee and chest.

Viewing 6 replies - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015