Bike Crash Assistance — Thank You

My wife crashed Wednesday afternoon about 3:30pm just past the farmer’s pond — zip-line / waterslide combo (about 6 miles from Newton). Single bike wreck; I think a gust of wind got her. I was about 30 feet behind and witnessed her incredibly, violent flip over the handlebars, stoping from 25mph-to-0 in about 5 feet. If you remember, the road was in great condition. Fresh concrete. Grooved for drainage. Writing this to let everyone involved know that she had NO broken bones — a miracle. Severe road rash on her shoulder, wrist, hip / glutes from the rough concrete. She has a very sore neck from the whiplash. Bump on the back of her head. Helmet did its job — cracked in several places. X-rays and CT Scans at the Skiff Medical Center (Newton) were negative. We both want to thank everyone on the scene who helped so much. We had at least three nurses and a PA watching over her within a couple minutes of the crash. I counted five physicians who stopped to ask if we needed help. Several individuals directing traffic, getting our bikes gathered and onto SAG, etc. Their selflessness represents the true spirit of RAGBRAI. It’s comforting to know you’re never alone when a crisis emerges. As RAGBRAI vets, we’ll be back for more, always paying-it-forward. One final comment: WEAR YOUR HELMET. I have no doubt her helmet prevented a major head injury, or even worse. Without her helmet, participating in the 2019 RAGBRAI most likely wouldn’t be an option!

6 Replies

altoonastew, July 30, 2018 at 11:30 am

I was taken out in Boone by someone who didn’t bother to look. Wound up flying into the grass (thank goodness) but broke my collarbone. Is there any insurance carried by Ragbrai for this? Hospital? Ambulance?

Scott Koehler, July 30, 2018 at 11:39 am

Not an attorney, but believe you are solely responsible for any incurred medical expenses, etc. As part of the registration, you signed the ‘waiver and release of liability.’

Very sorry to hear about your collarbone. Hoping for a quick recovery.

Jeff Eckel, July 31, 2018 at 2:05 pm

I was told that our registration covers EMS services but not hospital. Was that incorrect?

KenH, July 31, 2018 at 4:41 pm

Sorry to hear about your crashes and hope your recoverys are quick and complete! I had a crash near home some years ago and I would probably be a vegetable or deceased if I had not been wearing a helmet. They are not perfect but they are effective in many cases, please wear one on every ride!

As far as the coverage your registration fee provides, I would ask the RAGBRAI info desk about that. I believe it is @ragbrai.com">info@ragbrai.com but if I am wrong you should be able to find it listed somewhere on this website.

altoonastew, July 31, 2018 at 9:59 pm

What did I miss here? It seems some posts and replies have been deleted. I have searched the website, called RAGBRAI and left messages (unanswered). Just would like some information. I will folow up here for whatever happens.

Scott Koehler, August 1, 2018 at 8:36 am

Stew:

Nothing has been deleted. I would suggest starting your own thread regarding RAGBRAI medical reimbursement. This thread was meant to thank those who stopped to help my wife, not inquire about insurance coverage. Thanks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015