Bike Journal

I saw that there was such a thing in another post. I immediately went and signed up for it. It’s free and you can log your rides and data. They have an option to have “buddies” that will compare yourself to them and keep everyone motivated. So I thought I would post here to see if we can get a buddy type group going where we can see how everyone is doing while training for the ride this year. Maybe post here when you sign up what your username is and we can all buddy up. My username is estrobel. I think it could be a good way to make Ragbrai the best experience possible.

6 Replies

Niles, January 22, 2021 at 9:46 pm

just use free Strava

LawnchairMan, January 23, 2021 at 5:51 pm

Niles,
I know that ride data can be uploaded directly from my Garmin to Strava. Can it be done manually? One of the reasons I don’t use Strava is because I frequently forget to turn my Garmin on when I start. I like being able to enter my correct mileage.
I also don’t want to get into the competition of being King of the Hill for segments. I know it’s easier to “cheat” on Bike Journal, but it could be done on Strava too. I’ve seen riders wait for the windiest day to do a segment downwind or draft off their buddies until they get the segment started. I’ve thought of mounting a trainer on a truck to get the speed and still show heart rate stats.
I do get frustrated when Bike Journal entries are dumped with outrageous miles, but I just stay true to my own stats so I can compare my rides with my former self. Bike Journal does that fine for me.

Eric,
My handle is LawnchairMan. Perhaps you could tell me how to become a buddy. As I mentioned in the other post, my journal is public, so anyone can see it. I think that is an option for paying users only. Let me know if buddies can see each other’s journals.

Y’all stay safe!

Niles, January 23, 2021 at 9:14 pm

from non-mobile browser, you can enter your data manually to Strava. You can also upload you ride files (FIT, GPX, …), too.

You can also upload pictures. write your notes. Discuss with friends. If you don’t want fake or compete with anyone else, there is no one to force you to.

Eric Strobel, February 6, 2021 at 12:40 pm

First ride in about 3 weeks…dang snow…Yes it snows in Arizona. Lawnchair I will try and buddy you when I log my ride.

LawnchairMan, February 6, 2021 at 5:04 pm

I just requested you as a buddy. The buddy list is under the Riders tab.

Snow? I was peeved I couldn’t ride in the rain and wind we’ve had. Get out there when you can!

Gary Davis, February 6, 2021 at 5:43 pm

The wind is crazy here also . So ready to start chalking up the training miles soon

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015