bike panniers or trailer for ragbrai

i bought me a new bike for ragbrai, trek fx. i can pull a trailer with it or use panniers front in back. or i can have just back saddele bags, and attatch sleeping bag and tent on top of rear bags. i have used this kind of set up before, but only for a over nighter. folks say trailers are a bitch going up hills. i would be using the cheap one from wal mart. please give advise . i will be riding this year for sure. i quit my job in sturgis ,and i am not going back to work there. so i can go this year.thanks

21 Replies

Bob Amlie, October 31, 2017 at 8:02 pm

It’s your decision, and it may be that you want to accustom yourself to riding a bagger setup before you embark on a solo trip. Or are you planning to ride it without any support, such as baggage transport? RAGBRAI, is a supported ride, to say the least. Most riders tend to want a minimum of gear on their bike, and I’d say that maybe half+ don’t even have a rack or bar bag, any more. But, there really is no standard, & I encourage you to do what you want to do. It’s your adventure.

prince page, October 31, 2017 at 9:51 pm

hey bob, i dont want to pay the lottery draw fee. and i just don’t want to wade through all the gear and tents in the next town. i just want to get to the next town, and set up where i want to, and not have any problem finding my gear.another thing thats why i want to ride it un supported. no hassels

Michrider !!!, November 1, 2017 at 9:37 am

PP, every year RAGBRAI has bandits. Usually they do it quietly, under the radar. If you’re going to ride bandit, just do it! Don’t come on this RAGBRAI supported site, announce your intentions and ask for advice!!!
BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

prince page, November 1, 2017 at 11:58 am

ok i will. but i was going to buy daily wrist band on a few of those days. but i get your point.

Amanda, November 1, 2017 at 2:50 pm

You can ride unsupported, but you should buy a week long wristband if you are going all week. It’s good if you or your bike have problems. Plus buying a wristband is the right thing to do. Did you ride last year?

Michrider !!!, November 1, 2017 at 2:55 pm

You can ride unsupported, but you should buy a week long wristband if you are going all week. It’s good if you or your bike have problems. Plus buying a wristband is the right thing to do. Did you ride last year?

As Amanda (Princess of RAGBRAI) said, it’s the right thing to do!!!

prince page, November 1, 2017 at 7:52 pm

thanks amanda, but how much is a wrist band?

prince page, November 1, 2017 at 7:52 pm

thanks amanda, but how much is a wrist band?

Michrider !!!, November 2, 2017 at 9:24 am

PP, you can go to registration and apply.
https://ragbrai.com/registration/

This reply was modified 2 years, 12 months ago by Michrider !!!.

prince page, November 2, 2017 at 7:01 pm

thanks mich rider!!!!!

Amanda, November 3, 2017 at 6:58 am

Registration opens November 15 and I think the week long wristbands are $175 (I can’t remember exactly so that could be wrong). 12 more days!

mootsman, November 3, 2017 at 10:14 am

PP,

I hear you about searching through luggage and keeping it simple. There are some options to do that without carrying all of your gear.

1) Find a “Team” to go with. Some will advertise on this forum for riders. They have a camp spot pre-selected in each town and carry your gear. In such a small group your luggage is easy to locate each day. And they usually meet and return to a central location. Plus you get a tribe to hang with if you choose.

2) The deluxe way is a charter with a tent & luggage service. They provide the tent, set it up, deliver your luggage to it and the next day pick up your luggage from your tent. The only charter that does that I know about is Pork Belly. They also have chartered motor coaches so you meet them in the end town on the 1st day and park your car there for the week. You can check out the full list of their services at pkbelly.com.

prince page, November 3, 2017 at 6:04 pm

yeah i dont have any money for that.it’s all i can do to make the ride. i have to keep things simple. i don’t think drinking will be much of a problem. meaning that i wont be inticed to drink. doctors told me mybeer days are over because of the barley and weat. it makes my stomach upset.

so i can drink a little wine. i will have to stick with gator aid. what a bummer. i mean i don’t drink a lot anyway but did enjoy a beer or 2 after a long bike ride. but i do so much better with gator aid. i will review my options, and i might get a driver to drive my van. but i dont really see this happening.

i think i will go with a trailer, or panniers.

Michrider !!!, November 3, 2017 at 6:38 pm

PP, good luck with your decisions and we will see you in Iowa!!!

prince page, November 5, 2017 at 7:47 pm

thanks mich rider, and good luck to you!!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015