Join Us in July - Register Today!

Bike Security

This might be a painfully New York question… but how do you handle bike security?  

13 Replies

SFC JKL 2, June 20, 2011 at 12:12 pm

NYC-  Lean your bike against a building or hang it off a wire running done main street.  If you are extremely paranoid you could put a chain on it.  Locking it up at night is optional at best.  Do whatever helps you sleep at night.

You could leave a $20 bill on your seat.  If you came back an hour later and it was gone, you would have to look on the ground because it probably blew off.

dbreon, June 20, 2011 at 6:06 pm

SFC JKL2 said: NYC-  Lean your bike against a building or hang it off a wire running done main street.  If you are extremely paranoid you could put a chain on it.  Locking it up at night is optional at best.  Do whatever helps you sleep at night.

You could leave a $20 bill on your seat.  If you came back an hour later and it was gone, you would have to look on the ground because it probably blew off.

How true!

BackInTheSaddleAgain, June 20, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I’m just going to throw a bunch of zip ties in my back pocket and a small knife… almost all the incidents of “theft” that I have heard of seem to be local kids just screwing around and the bike usually makes it back fairly quickly.  I figure if I zip the wheel to the frame, it will deter the pranksters.  No way that I’m dragging a conventional lock all the way across Iowa. 

ehlent, June 20, 2011 at 8:24 pm

There is no need to carry a lock with you during the day while on RAGBRAI.  In the pass through towns there will be thousands of bikes and I have not heard of any problems there.   Once in a while a bike will stray in an overnight town.   Usually if you park it outside a bar for a few hours.   Most bikes are not locked even at night, but if it makes you feel better, store it in your tent or lock it to a tree.  

liketorideNYC, June 21, 2011 at 6:40 am

thanks everyone, and thanks for posting a previous thread… i searched “security” and “theft” but was unable to find a previous posting.

I really like the idea of bringing zipties at the very least.  Its not that im not trusting, i’ve been to iowa before and intuit the open vibe at Ragbrai, but living here in NY so long, I get an unsettling feeling even when my bike is chained.  I suppose i can work that out during the ride.

mclousing, June 21, 2011 at 8:35 am

Just don’t get too use to it, and go back to NY and not lock your bike.  Reality may set in very quick. :)

giantron, June 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Here’s my post from the Theft thread:

If you want really minimal security but light and just enough to keep people honest, look for a snow board lock. They’re really small and light, most have a set-able combination lock and would easily fit in your pocket. 

<br style=”border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; “>
Here’s the one I’m talking about. My son has one, but I haven’t used it since I have a small (although larger than this) cable and lock. And it’s $8. A pair of wire cutters would easily cut through the cable, but if you’re looking for something minimal this could work for you.
<br style=”border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; “>

jhelmrich, June 21, 2011 at 2:08 pm

<font>I’m originally from Iowa …on our team of 14 one gal is from the Bronx.  HEre’s what she had to say after RAGBRAI:

I am originally from NYC and moved to Wisconsin because I heard there were
plenty of parking spots available. Last year was my first RAGBRAI and it was
amazing because nobody’s bike was stolen and we just threw them down on the
ground at each town to grab a bite to eat.  That was cool and strange for a NYC
girl.
</font>

<font> </font>

<font>Seriously, the most amazing part of the week was spending time with the
long way around team, great stories at the end of the long rides, cold pickles
and watermelon.</font>

Toady, June 21, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I think it depends a lot on what kind of bike you have.  We talked to a guy who had a $7000 bike stolen from practically right under his nose in the middle of the day last year.  I have seen the cops handcuffing bike thieves.  I have a cheap old bike and even though I took a cable and lock with me last year, I never used it once.  I have also talked to people who have said: “I don’t take my good bike to RAGBRAI”.  “I take my old bike and don’t have to worry so much about it.”

liketorideNYC, June 21, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Giantron:  THAT is a really good idea (snowboard lock). 

Done!

ts, June 21, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I bring a light cable and cheap, light lock, only for use in the overnight towns during the afternoon.  I just feel better with something to make potential thieves go to the next bike.  I don’t bother locking it in the pass-through towns or at night, where I usually store it inside my tent vestibule.

WILLLIKESJAVA, June 21, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Bikes do get stolen, in 2008 one of my team mates had his bike stolen on Saturday night before day one.  It was parked outside the main party for the night.  Luckily he was able to borrow one of the test bikes from the bike companies at the expo and only missed the last day. 

I do bring my old bike, just in case something happens it’s only my old bike.  I lock it because I don’t want to miss the rest of the ride!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters