Biker Hurt…hope he is OK

Riding out of Newton (or maybe Sigourney) in the morning a biker went down hard right in front of me. I was the first to yell biker down and get to him when we got off our bikes. He was out for a bit but when he came around I believe he said his name was John from Marshalltown. There was no shortage of other bikers who got off to help and direct riders around. Thanks should also go to the numerous doctors, nurses, emt’s, etc. who helped or offered to help as well until the first EMT on a motor cycle arrived and the ambulance shortly there after. John…I hope it turned you were no more than bruised and scrapped up a bit and I also hope you had or are having a speedy recovery.

5 Replies

cdgrn1, August 8, 2018 at 10:21 am

I’m sure John is grateful to all who responded when he needed help. What a great community of people we become for that week. John is an experienced, strong rider but accidents happen to the best of us. I don’t have many details but know he is currently at the UofI Hospital with some broken bones.

DougHarris, August 10, 2018 at 5:11 pm

Thanks for the info…not happy that he has some breaks but it sure could have been worse…hoping for a speedy recovery for John and a quick return to the saddle!

John Eich, August 15, 2018 at 2:56 pm

John is home now and has a broken hip, clavicle, pubic fractures and bruised ribs! He was in the university hospital for 10 days and sent home for exercises at home to help healing! He was very curious to know what happened when he went down!
Thanks for posting this blog!
John Eich

DougHarris, August 17, 2018 at 1:14 pm

Glad he is recovering! From what I saw…either there was contact (which I doubt) or people that were helping direct traffic around him on the ground were warning of some big cracks in the middle of the road…implying his tire got in there making him lose control. Either way he went down hard on his left side and was not conscious when I first got to him…it was about a minute or two until he kind of came to…for a while after that he did not respond to questions or comments. He eventually responded to some basic questions and I think everyone helping assumed he heard people talking to him. He was responsive by the time the EMT arrived on a motorcycle. One of the questions asked to John was if he had lost consciousness…to which he responded incorrectly “no”…which we then corrected. John seemed dazed and bruised but was successfully moving hands and feet seemingly without pain so in one sense I am surprised at the extent of the damage…but having seen the severity of the impact am am not totally surprised. Once the EMT and ambulance where there and the other medical professions still staying…I continued on my way…so that is what I remember off the top of my head. Again, glad he is on the path to recovery!

KenH, August 17, 2018 at 4:45 pm

Sorry to hear how badly injured John was. I hope that he makes a full recovery in record time. If it was a centerline crack that got him I know of a second rider who went down because of one. I was one of the four Ride Right Ambassadors on Sunday. I don’t think I was more than 10 miles out of Onawa when I came upon a modest sized group of people clustered around a woman and her bike in the center of the road. I stopped to make sure that they had called for medical help if she needed it. She did and they had so there was nothing more I could do since they were directing traffic quite well and I have no medical or first aid training. I did not ask about the cause of the accident but several of them were warning passing riders about the centerline crack so I presume that is what caused her fall. I suspect that centerline cracks are one of the more common causes of serious RAGBRAI accidents. We all need to be wary of them and to warn others when we come upon a section of road that has a nasty looking one.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI