RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

biking shorts

I’m in need of several new pairs of padded biking shorts but I’m looking to be smart about how much I spend. What are the quality brands and which are most affordable. I understand that you typically get what you pay for, but I don’t want to spend a ton of money just for a name brand. Thanks!

11 Replies

rjjensenia, June 8, 2012 at 7:55 am

I know it is a cliche, “you get what you pay for” but the cheaper brands of shorts I have purchased turned out to be a waste of money. I saved a few bucks but never wear the shorts because they do not provide the comfort I want.

I like Pearl Izumi. I think they are fairly priced.

Michrider !!!, June 8, 2012 at 8:15 am

rjjensenia:
I know it is a cliche, “you get what you pay for”but the cheaper brands of shorts I have purchased turned out to be a waste of money. I saved a few bucks but never wear the shorts because they do not provide the comfort I want.

I like Pearl Izumi. I think they are fairly priced.

I agree about the PI shorts, they are very good. I’ve recently tried Louis Garneau Alveo 3K Short and like them a lot. Cheaper shorts are…, well…,,, CHEAP!!!!!

jwsknk, June 8, 2012 at 8:19 am

Voler has some on sale, that’s who we get our team shorts from, I have 2 pair, getting a third.
http://www.voler.com/browse/cat/?cat=Bottoms,Mens

giantron, June 8, 2012 at 8:36 am

I like Canari shorts, and you can usually find them a little cheaper at campmor.com or nashbar.com. Still a name product but sometimes an older style is on sale at those places.
I’m going to go try out a pair of Bontrager baggy shorts that actually look like regular shorts (pockets and everything) but still have the chamois and fitted liner. They run $50. Looks like they’d be great for touring.

IndianHillsTed, June 8, 2012 at 8:45 am

You get what you pay for indeed!

Also I’d make sure to try them on.

PI makes a good product but their shorts just do not fit me at all. I like their bibs and mtn bike shorts but I don’t get their road shorts anymore. Different brands fit differently.

Ted

Jason, June 8, 2012 at 11:30 am

When I started biking my LBS recommended PI Attack shorts. They said the extra money for the Elite shorts wasn’t worth the money.

I have since bought a pair of PI Elite bib shorts and Louis Garneau Equipe bib shorts for $75.00 each and found them to be much more comfortable than the PI Attack shorts.

Tony, June 8, 2012 at 11:54 am

http://www.nashbar.com The Walmart for cyclist. There house brand gear is all quality stuff. Been using them for years. The also sell name brands at discount. I like the Cannondale Classic shorts. 6 panel stitch free welded pad. Very comfortable. It also has a inside pocket at the waist band in back. This is to put a MP3 player or 2-way radio. You can then run the ear plug wire under your jersey. Works great.

RonB, June 8, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Tony: http://www.nashbar.com The Walmart for cyclist. There house brand gear is all quality stuff. Been using them for years. The also sell name brands at discount. I like the Cannondale Classic shorts. 6 panel stitch free welded pad. Very comfortable. It also has a inside pocket at the waist band in back. This is to put a MP3 player or 2-way radio. You can then run the ear plug wire under your jersey. Works great.

Just bought a pair of DNA Italico shorts from Nashbar. Good price, but DO NOT buy these shorts. Chamois is terrible, misplaced on the short and so thick it won’t even conform to my azz! Keeping them, but they will be the trainer shorts, or the very short ride shorts.

reddog1, June 8, 2012 at 5:54 pm

While PI shorts are great the lower end aka attack …. stink.
You need to go high end on PI.
Voler has a great short and you can up grade the pad if you like but not necessary. Very reasonable price and wonderful fit as our team buys from them every year and everyone raves about them.
Don’t go low end to Nashbar.. You more than get what you pay for.
Performance has an ok line at a reasonable price and I have owed a pair which lasted about 3 years.
Also Colorado Cyclist has a line that is not badly priced.

jeffreydennis, June 8, 2012 at 6:26 pm

PI pros or for less I like Performance. If riding more than 50 I wear the PI. And I like bibs.

Axiom 7, June 8, 2012 at 7:10 pm

The PI shorts fit me the best. You can look on Ebay. Most bike shops auction their new “old stuff” at about half the price. They may be three years old but they are brand new,in the package. The attack shorts are good for short 30-40 mile days but for the 70-80 mi. days the Elite are better and the “pro” will make you think you aren’t wearing shorts. Go for the bibs in the pro line, if you can. You should of started looking in december, I did.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI