Biking software

What application are y’all using to record trip data. The one I use hasn’t been updated for a while. I’m an occasional commuter and weekend warrior, so I don’t need something complex or expensive — free would be good. My phone is running Android 10. Thanks

8 Replies

GP_in_SD, September 4, 2021 at 7:00 pm

Use Strava’s free version on your phone. It will use the phones GPS to record your route and track mileage.

Mike Murphy, September 6, 2021 at 8:39 pm

I have a Garmin computer on my bike and have Garmin Connect on my phone and laptop. It uploads automatically via bluetooth for my phone and wireless internet on my laptop as soon I am done with my ride. Garmin Connect keeps everything in regards to ride data forever.

“Bicycle Bill”, September 6, 2021 at 11:43 pm

What happened to just going out for a bike ride because it was enjoyable and fun?  All this data collection and other shit just seems to turn it into work.

rjjensenia, September 7, 2021 at 9:08 am

For me it does not make cycling turn into work. It makes it more fun!!

Larry Klaaren, September 7, 2021 at 1:31 pm

What happened to just going out for a bike ride because it was enjoyable and fun? All this data collection and other shit just seems to turn it into work.

There is that danger. I have a Garmin watch and it uploads to Garmin Connect and to Strava. I enjoy matching up with previous rides on the same route as far as speed and pacing. The Garmin Strava shows my totals for riding and running for the last week. I try to keep the total biking at 50 miles per week or a little more and the run at 17 or so. That is all the time I have. Used properly it is a good source of information. Strave has “segments” which are little pieces of your ride that users have set up for comparisons. You can compare to previous rides of your own, or any one else who has ever ridden that segment. That’s where I can make work out of it. I do pretty poorly against all rides on most of the segments, falling just under middle of the pack, but in the 60+ age group, I do pretty well. All I need to know.

This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Larry Klaaren.

Joseph Schlau, September 8, 2021 at 10:13 am

Ride With GPS is a free program that is upgradable to 2 different levels of subscription. Each with its own capabilities and options.

I have also used Garmin GPS for over 10 years.

Ride with GPS depends on cell coverage to provide your current location. Garmin receives GPS directly from satellites and is not dependent on cell connectivity.

Both programs have the capability of simulcasting your location to someone else. I ride solo in off trail locations. Your safety person at home would have an exact location to send help in an emergency.

Ride With GPS does have an excellent route planning feature which allows you to load and modify another users public rides and a “heat map” feature showing the most commonly used routes in a region you may not be familiar with. Garmin’s Basecamp Routing software is dated and not real easy to use.

Android is supported by RWGPS.

Bruce Atkinson, September 11, 2021 at 9:15 pm

Thanks for the responses — i’ll try the suggested software.

I use tracking software out of curiosity: How far did I ride? How fast did I go down that hill? Not to compare my speed on an often traveled route. (One exception: I tracked myself three times out of dozens as I commuted to work.) For example, I wish I had tracked my ride last Monday. I have never rode this route before. I rode to my wife’s workplace to get cooking tongs from the car for my parents. Then I rode to my parents to drop off the tongs and pick up a 200 mm adjustable wrench for a plumbing project at my house. Finally I rode home. It was about 12 – 16 miles. I’d like to know more accurately.

Bruce

Mike Murphy, September 12, 2021 at 6:41 pm

Buffalo Bill….it adds to my enjoyment knowing how I am doing for the year and comparing it to previous years. Its far from work, I walk in the house and power up laptop and everything is there.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI