RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

bkie upgrades/ chains and lubes

What upgrades will ya’ll make before this years upcoming ride.And what lube do tou use,And how often do you replace your bike chain. I replace my mt.bike chain about every 1,000 miles. The last one did not get replace until 2,000 and by then my whole drive train was worn out. I use white litning bike chain lube.

26 Replies

jsm, December 10, 2011 at 12:16 am

There are chain gauges you can buy at your local bike shop, that way you are not buying a new chain before you need one, or using it longer than you should.   You are right though, a worn chain will wear out the chain rings and cassette.   

As for lube, make sure you match the lube to the weather/riding conditions, wet for wet weather, dry for dry.  
Cleaning your chain and derailleurs, chain rings and cassette can make a huge difference in the longevity of your drive train.  
Any dirt in the works creates a pumice like grit that will wear out any parts prematurely.  Spending a little time taking it all apart, soaking and cleaning it will save you lots of money in the long run.  A chain cleaning tool, a brush and an good ecologically friendly de-greaser will help between major cleanings.   Do not use a water jet directly on any part of your bike,  you could force water into bearings causing damage.   

“Bicycle Bill”, December 10, 2011 at 12:46 am

When in doubt, check with Sheldon Brown (sheldonbrown.com):

“The best way to determine whether a chain is worn is by measuring its
length. A new half inch pitch chain will have a pin at exactly every
half inch. As the pins and sleeves wear, this spacing increases,
concentrating more load on the last tooth of engagement as the chain
rolls off the sprocket, thus changing the tooth profile. When chain
pitch grows over one half percent, it is time for a new chain. At one
percent, sprocket wear progresses rapidly because this length change
occurs only between pin and sleeve so that it is concentrated on every
second pitch; the pitch of the inner link containing the rollers
remaining constant. By holding a ruler along the chain on the
bicycle, align an inch mark with a pin and see how far off the mark
the pin is at twelve inches. An eighth of an inch (0.125) is one
percent, twice the sixteenth limit that is a prudent time for a new
chain.

If you’ve spent your money on a chain gauge, then you might as
well use it, but it’s not really necessary if you already own a ruler.

Any questions?

-“BB”-

trek2300, December 10, 2011 at 10:51 am

How many good things did Sheldon Brown do? He’s sorely missed.

Michrider !!!, December 10, 2011 at 12:01 pm

seminole11 said: What upgrades will ya’ll make before this years upcoming ride.And what lube do tou use,And how often do you replace your bike chain. I replace my mt.bike chain about every 1,000 miles. The last one did not get replace until 2,000 and by then my whole drive train was worn out. I use white litning bike chain lube.

Sorry but I don’t think of replacing a chain as an “upgrade”, it’s just regular bike maintenance.

SFC JKL 2, December 10, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I put on my 28mm wheels and a front fender.  The wheels because it helps with some of those thump-thump-thump roads and a fender because it normally rains at least once.  The rack doubles as a rear fender so I never have to worry about getting a skunk stripe.

Michrider !!!, December 10, 2011 at 12:24 pm

SFC JKL2 said: I put on my 28mm wheels and a front fender.  The wheels because it helps with some of those thump-thump-thump roads and a fender because it normally rains at least once.  The rack doubles as a rear fender so I never have to worry about getting a skunk stripe.

I also ride 28 mm tires in Iowa.  They seem to be wide enough to stay out of those center cracks!  I don’t worry too much about fenders on RAGBRAI cause there are lots of other bikes out there spraying me in the rain.  I do agree that normally fenders are great in the rain!

jwsknk, December 10, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Whats the prob with a skunk stripe? Its the rooster tail coming off the bike in front that gets all up in your face.

Michrider !!!, December 10, 2011 at 2:40 pm

jwsknk said: Whats the prob with a skunk stripe? Its the rooster tail coming off the bike in front that gets all up in your face.

Exactly!  In 2010, the Friday ride, from Waterloo to Quasqueton, was as wet and cold as I’ve been in July.  I have two bikes with fenders and don’t believe fenders would have helped on that day!  Too much water in my face from the bikes in front!

SFC JKL 2, December 10, 2011 at 3:31 pm

-What’s the prob with a skunk stripe?

Nothing wrong with them, just not my style.  What I really used to hate was the wet shoes.  With the solid soles, it would feel like waves going back and forth across the bottom of my feet.  Another reason for why I wear sandals now.

I will second that 2010 was nasty.  It was so cold it took about 2 hours for my knee to warm up.

jwsknk, December 10, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Agree on the sandals, feet don’t stay wet near as long and no nasty wet socks. 2010 we waited the rain out before leaving town. Had lunch in the first town out at noon.Yep, all of about 5 miles into the day.

Michrider !!!, December 10, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Nothing like riding in the rain, with sandals, while wearing smart wool socks!  Works (for me) every time!!!!

jwsknk, I was waiting for you to jump in with “we waited out the rain”!  D.A.MN, you were smart that day!!! 

knees36, December 10, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Ditto on the sandals and those Smartwool socks, Mich…great for those rainy days and for general biking.  I’ve used two different chain lubes over the years…Boeshield T9, a 20 ounce spray can for $20 through Rivendell Bikes at http://www.rivbike.com (you might find it cheaper at an LBS) or ProLink Chain Lube, a 4 ounce plastic container for $8.00 at my LBS.  Both work great.  ProLink is a bit easier to carry with you on a bike for an extended trip and the 4 ounces goes a long way.  Their website is http://www.progoldmfr.com and is made by ProGold Lubricants right here in the USA.  Their toll free number is as follows: 1-800-421-LUBE.  Cheers.

Michrider !!!, December 10, 2011 at 6:54 pm

knees36 said: Ditto on the sandals and those Smartwool socks, Mich…great for those rainy days and for general biking.  I’ve used two different chain lubes over the years…Boeshield T9, a 20 ounce spray can for $20 through Rivendell Bikes at http://www.rivbike.com (you might find it cheaper at an LBS) or ProLink Chain Lube, a 4 ounce plastic container for $8.00 at my LBS.  Both work great.  ProLink is a bit easier to carry with you on a bike for an extended trip and the 4 ounces goes a long way.  Their website is http://www.progoldmfr.com and is made by ProGold Lubricants right here in the USA.  Their toll free number is as follows: 1-800-421-LUBE.  Cheers.

Knees, I agree about the ProLink, good stuff!  On RAGBRAI, I’m usually busy in the AM, pumping tires and cleaning & lubing chains for the girls!!!!!

RonB, December 10, 2011 at 7:12 pm

seminole11 said:  I use white litning bike chain lube.

Beware of White Lightning for Ragbrai.  It’s a great lube for dry conditions, but not so good for the wet.  In my opinion, better to forgo the wax based and stick to petro based for this week.

knees36, December 10, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Michrider said:

knees36 said: Ditto on the sandals and those Smartwool socks, Mich…great for those rainy days and for general biking.  I’ve used two different chain lubes over the years…Boeshield T9, a 20 ounce spray can for $20 through Rivendell Bikes at http://www.rivbike.com (you might find it cheaper at an LBS) or ProLink Chain Lube, a 4 ounce plastic container for $8.00 at my LBS.  Both work great.  ProLink is a bit easier to carry with you on a bike for an extended trip and the 4 ounces goes a long way.  Their website is http://www.progoldmfr.com and is made by ProGold Lubricants right here in the USA.  Their toll free number is as follows: 1-800-421-LUBE.  Cheers.

Knees, I agree about the ProLink, good stuff!  On RAGBRAI, I’m usually busy in the AM, pumping tires and cleaning & lubing chains for the girls!!!!!

Dang!!! Why didn’t I think of that, Mich??? But, then again, the younger ladies wouldn’t tumble to an old f.a.r.t. like me and the older, more experienced ladies would spot my feeble attempts in a second or two.  Cheers.  

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters