Join Us in July - Register Today!

Blind cyclist from Colorado needs help

Need help transporting my tandem from Centennial to the start of RAGBRAI then back to Colorado. Call Ron at: (720) 217-3905.

9 Replies

prince page, February 11, 2019 at 7:36 pm

how are you goiong to ride if you are blind?

Jboz, February 11, 2019 at 8:01 pm

PP – The rider has stated that he needs help transporting a tandem. A tandem bike is a wonderful way for visually impaired people to enjoy cycling and RAGBRAI. It is also not specified whether the poster is the captain or the stoker. Either way, the poster is seeking help, not judgment.

Learn empathy and you won’t be treated like a jerk.
Learn grammar, spelling and punctuation and you won’t be treated like a simpleton.

Ron Barton, February 11, 2019 at 9:07 pm

I am the stoker, and Adaptive Sports Iowa is providing a pilot for my tandem. Right now I just need to find a way to get my tandem to Iowa. I can be reached at (720) 217-3905. I am in the Denver area.

Ron Barton, February 11, 2019 at 9:27 pm

Blind cyclist needs help transporting tandem from Denver to RAGBRAI & back!

Craig Parson, February 21, 2019 at 7:46 am

I have been a pilot before with Adaptive Sports and my stoker just had a bike shop box it up and ship it to Adaptive Sports several days ahead of the ride. Shipping a tandem is not cheap, but it’s done regularly. I just had to put on seats, bars, wheels and hook up brakes upon arrival. If you can pair this with a tune-up a local shop they will usually cut you a deal. “Adaptive Sports Iowa sponsored by Iowa Farm Bureau” (get used to saying that) will take your bike and deliver it to the first overnight town, it goes in the box van with the rest of the tandems and handcycles. Mike at ASA or whoever this years do everything person is can guide you through this. There is usually a live stream that will cover this among many other questions. This team is well managed and this is a problem with a proven solution in place.

Craig

Low Rider, February 21, 2019 at 8:03 am

[quote quote=1299969]“Adaptive Sports Iowa sponsored by Iowa Farm Bureau” (get used to saying that) Craig[/quote]

Even better, get used to saying “Adaptive Sports Iowa Cycling Team presented by Iowa Farm Bureau”

Craig Parson, February 21, 2019 at 8:18 am

Correct, I guess that’s why I’m not in charge of anything.

Ron Barton, February 21, 2019 at 2:43 pm

Thanks for the information Craig! It sounds like a lot of extra work to me so I am hoping that someone from the Denver area will step up to help get my tandem to Iowa for the RAGBRAI! Colorado usually gets a large turn out for this event every year so I’m hoping that will work out for me! By the way since you have been a Pilot on a tandem before do you think you might do that again sometime? I am looking for a pilot for a HeartCycle tour in September also that will be riding from Grand Rapids, MI. to Rochester, NY. You can see the details on this tour on the http://www.heartcycle.org website on the Coast to Coast tour. I would even pay your registration!

Marci Thompson, February 24, 2019 at 10:39 am

Hi Ron. I am looking forward to a return trip to RAGBRAI this summer. I live in Colorado Springs right now, but in process of relocation to Denver metro. I wonder if we might talk, or meet in person. I’m wondering if we might team up for some rides, if the chemistry is right. I’m a middle school science teacher, and I love to ride, and I also run for fun—long distances. I have ridden tandem before, but not for multi-day tours.
Hope to heat from you!!
Marci Thompson
719-210-4136

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters