The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

BRR(Bike Ride to Rippey)

Ok, I don’t ride in the winter but for some reason have decided to do BRR. What recommendations can you all give me on clothing. So I wont be too hot, too cold, or unable to move my limbs to peddle!

22 Replies

Michrider !!!, January 11, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Try “Tosti-Toes” for keeping your feet warm!

http://www.amazon.com/HeatMax-Toasti-Toes-Warmer-Pairs/dp/B0007ZF4PE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294791363&sr=8-1

eddie_the_ex_cabana_boy, January 11, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Turtlemom!

I’ve done the Brr ride a few times and it’s a BLAST!  You’ll have a great time!

Keep your hands and feet as warm as you can!  Good warm foot gear,headgear and good quality gloves (layers if you can manage it!) will do the job.  (bring a scarf too!)

You might wanna carry a small backpack to hold some of your outer clothing if you pedal too fast and get too warm!

Have fun and ride safe!

Ed  (SLAP! Cycling)

jwsknk, January 12, 2011 at 8:24 am

done it when it was 50 degrees, when it didn’t break 0  and when there were windchills in the -10’s. Kind of hard right now to guess but do plan for layers, breathable windbreaker top layer.

turtlemom, January 12, 2011 at 9:18 am

I hadn’t even thought about the bike, but my husband(my primary mechanic) is concerned because I have really skinny tires. I have another ,(much older) bike with wider tires, your thoughts?

jwsknk, January 12, 2011 at 9:22 am

turtlemom said: I hadn’t even thought about the bike, but my husband(my primary mechanic) is concerned because I have really skinny tires. I have another ,(much older) bike with wider tires, your thoughts?

I’ve done it on every bike I have (4), it depends on road conditions and forecast. wider tires probably means slower but if there is snow or ice on the road that’s what I go with.

ts, January 12, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I second the suggestion to take a fanny pack or backpack to allow layering/unlayering.  My “maximum layering” consists of: three leg layers (leg warmers, tights, shorts), four top layers (base, winter long-sleeve jersey, another thin fleece layer, windproof shell), two shoe layers (toe covers, booties), two glove layers (glove liner, glove), and two head layers (hat, balaclava).  I seldom wear all that because I don’t like to ride when it’s that cold, but when I do I usually end up stripping half of it off by the end of the ride.

eddie_the_ex_cabana_boy, January 12, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Hey t-mom!

Well, the way I see it,since you have a mechanic on call (your hubby) I think your in great shape!

The roads hopefully will be clear but there are some rough spots along the way and the last thing I think you’d want to do is change a tire somewhere out there in the COLD!

What I’d suggest, is that you have PLENTY of time to talk your mechanic into servicing your older bikes rims (clean and re-pack the wheel bearings), put in new inner tubes, lube-up your chain real good and go with the older bike and wider tires. I doubt that there will be any “land-speed” records being set that day and I’m sure you’ll have LOTS of LOW-GEAR company to ride with!

So in this case, BIGGER may be BETTER!…………………..

Hope this helps!

Ride safe,

Ed  (SLAP! Cycling)

turtlemom, January 19, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Ok, hows this?  Socks, toasty toes, wool socks, snow boots. Warm Wear, tights, jeans, snow pants. Thermal shirt, tshirt,sweat shirt, winter coat. Hot hands, gloves, balaclava and helmet.

Michrider !!!, January 19, 2011 at 3:57 pm

turtlemom said: Ok, hows this?  Socks, toasty toes, wool socks, snow boots. Warm Wear, tights, jeans, snow pants. Thermal shirt, tshirt,sweat shirt, winter coat. Hot hands, gloves, balaclava and helmet.

No cotton anything and you’ll do well!  Maybe a little flask of brandy in your back pocket?

turtlemom, January 19, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Shouldn’t there be a dog with a little barrel around his neck to rescue those stranded in the snow!  Still can’t believe I’m doing this, everyone thinks we are nuts! But they all thought we were nuts to do Ragbrai, some even doubted we would(or could) complete it!

jwsknk, January 19, 2011 at 4:28 pm

gloves 50-30’s, lobster claws (20’s-10’s, with liners 10’s- -0), or mittens, (-0’s & glove liners if needed).  It all depends on the temps that day.
Down to 0 I can get by on the commute with jeans and rain pants. Carhart jacket and rain jacket on top. Stocking hat & 180’s (ear warners) under the helmet. Single digits need to cover the face more with the mask that covers the lower half. Below 0 baclava and 180’s along with ski goggles. Also might need to add another layer to legs and under jacket when it gets -0’s When it gets real cold have the “fur” lined hat with the ear flaps that goen under helmet. In the winter I use an old helmet with all the extra pads removed.

Ragbrai Nation, January 19, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I’m just trying to justify the 125 mi. drive to get to Perry for this (250mi round trip). It’s my first BRR.  Twist my arm, somebody! 

Ragbrai Nation, January 19, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Will the St. Bernard have Black Velvet in the little barrel?

IndianHillsTed, January 19, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I did this years ago. Isn’t the ride only 11 miles? It was brutal cold when I did it (’94 I think). I remember wearing my ski jacket and avoiding ice on the road. But it was so short it did not matter.

HAVE FUN!

Ted

knees36, January 19, 2011 at 9:11 pm

IndianHillsTed said: I did this years ago. Isn’t the ride only 11 miles? It was brutal cold when I did it (’94 I think). I remember wearing my ski jacket and avoiding ice on the road. But it was so short it did not matter. HAVE FUN! Ted

Ted…it’s 11+ miles EACH way_Perry to Rippey and then Rippey back to Perry!!!  Yes, it has been a bit brutal in the past.  Maybe youre still in Rippey?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014