The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

BRR(Bike Ride to Rippey)

Ok, I don’t ride in the winter but for some reason have decided to do BRR. What recommendations can you all give me on clothing. So I wont be too hot, too cold, or unable to move my limbs to peddle!

22 Replies

ts, January 20, 2011 at 12:31 am

turtlemom said: Ok, hows this?  Socks, toasty toes, wool socks, snow boots. Warm Wear, tights, jeans, snow pants. Thermal shirt, tshirt,sweat shirt, winter coat. Hot hands, gloves, balaclava and helmet.

Don’t skimp on the gloves, even with Hot Hands.  Thick gloves with liners if it’s cold.  Mittens with liners if it’s really cold.  Some gloves even come with little pockets in them for Hot Hands.  Depending on the thickness of the balaclava you might want a hat also.  I have a thin balaclava and usually wear a fleece skullcap under it.

“Bicycle Bill”, January 20, 2011 at 3:08 am

Bacchettaman said: I’m just trying to justify the 125 mi. drive to get to Perry for this (250mi round trip). It’s my first BRR.  Twist my arm, somebody! 

How about if I tell you that I expect to be driving something like 300 miles (one way) to take part?

-“BB”-

jwsknk, January 20, 2011 at 8:02 am

Oh, and I forgot a scaft or neck gator for that little spot on your neck that always seems to find a way to expose itself.

Davy Sprocket, January 20, 2011 at 8:23 am

I wish I could go, but I have a track meet that day by Cedar Rapids.

FarleyBob, January 21, 2011 at 8:04 am

For those that don’t want to make the drive all the way to Rippey. There is a ride in eastern Iowa that just started last year called the Ididaride. It goes from Farley to Peosta and back. (Potter’s Hill Optional) : )
Hopefully we can get this ride going to be as fun as the BRRR!

jwsknk, January 21, 2011 at 8:17 am

if you are up in the cities, the Stuporbowl  ride is that weekend.

Stuporbowl – (stōō’pər’bohl) – noun, an annual bike race held in Minneapolis, MN during the winter that offers riders the opportunity to race competitively or drunk for a shot at the title of Stupor Champ.

February 4th – Pre-Party at Halek’s Bar – 2024 N Washington Ave
Registration and packet pickup. Drink specials, free pool, microwave cheeseburgers.
February 5th – StuporBowl 14
12:00 – Check in at One on One Bicycle Studio – 117 N Washington Ave
3:00 – Race Launch

Viewing 6 replies - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014