Bubba’s Pampered Peddlers

I reserved with Bubba for Ragbrai. His cancellation policy is $300. He offered a 100% credit toward a future ride but or else the cancellation policy would kick in. I could not commit to Ragbrai 2021 at this time so I was charged the $300. I posted a bad review on his Facebook Page. The following was his response.

At time of registration, this person signed a contract which plainly stated the refund policy. Also stayed in the refund policy is the need for trip insurance. Instead of only enforcing that policy, a 100% credit for future events was also offered. This person requested the refund policy he agreed to when registering.
As for future events, there are several to choose from within weeks of the event which was cancelled and the credit extends into 2021 which will include numerous events.

You can decide who is right. I will have no further comment on it.

39 Replies

Mike Murphy, April 21, 2020 at 8:27 pm

My response to Bubba would be, I didn’t cancel my contract with you and I expect you to be in Clinton on July 18th to bus me to Le Mars. Then I will see you each day in the overnight towns, where you will have my tent set up, power stations ready and whatever other amenities they have promised. If they are not willing to do that they have violated your contract you had with them.

I also hope Ragbrai considers this type of greed as unacceptable and severs their relationship with them for future rides. I am a former small business owner and I believe in profit, what I don’t believe in is greed and that is what this is.

I never like to suggest legal action but I hope there are enough upset customers of Bubba’s to consider joining together to seek out a proper refund.

Mike Howe, April 21, 2020 at 9:55 pm

Like I said in another thread, the bad publicity, reviews,and upset customers are going to hurt bubbas in the long run. Theres always riders (new and old) asking for input on charter services, Im sure those who lose their money wont hesitate to offer their opinion.

Will be interesting to see how contracts are written in the future. Concerts, sporting events, ragbrai, everything is going to probably have some kind of verbage in it now to protect themselves.

Rick, April 22, 2020 at 9:01 am

Good enough for me, I was going to use Bubba’s again but never again now. Even if he is ‘shamed’ me out of duress to make a refund. Character is everything.

mootsman, April 22, 2020 at 3:46 pm

That was if you cancelled the contract, not if Bubba cancelled and refuses to honor his end. Legally he has to return 100% of the money but it is not worth suing over the amount. Make sure you’re clear on that point with Bubba. He has to return 100% because he cancelled.

And maybe talk to RAGBRAI officials about it. They could refuse to let Bubba be a RAGBRAI charter in the future. They should if he does not return 100%.

This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by mootsman.

This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by mootsman.

Jboz, April 22, 2020 at 4:00 pm

This seems incredibly short-sighted. Has anyone else independently confirmed this? If they are in fact doing this, it might make them a little coin in the short-term, but down the road…WOW!

In fact, I have been thinking of doing the Southern Tier with that outfit. If this approach on RAGBRAI is confirmed, I will definitely not choose them.

Bubba, April 22, 2020 at 6:15 pm

I have begged this person to be honest. Please allow me to do so. Of course these are uncharted times. When first I learned about RAGBRAI cancelling, like most, I disappointed. Like most, it’s an event which I look forward to yearly. As soon as RAGBRIA’s announcement was made, I started receiving inquiries as to a refund policy. The policy offered was 100% credit toward ANY Bubba events. This person contact me via FB messenger with a copy and paste of the cancellation policy which, by the way was never part of the original refund policy. This person DEMANDED I honor the stated cancellation policy. I ask him for clarification asking if he was saying he would rather use the cancellation policy costing him $300 vs. the refund policy of 100% credit. He again stayed that is what he wanted and again demanded I honor the cancellation policy.
This was his demand and something which was not an option in the refund policy.
So here he is, making less than honest remarks and all because I honored his demand.
To be more honest, I took the step to email RAGBRAI my refund policy just for their information. Nowhere did they read anything but a 100% credit.
Now you know the honest truth. No spin. No lies. No BS. Just the truth.
Beleive who you wish. I like what I see when looking in the mirror.

Rick, April 22, 2020 at 6:28 pm

The only option was for a credit for a future event vs. a refund of the money? You offer a ‘refund policy of 100 percent CREDIT’. That’s not a refund. Adios, who’d want that deal, it’s all win-win for Bubba and lose-lose for the customers.

You are right about one thing, it’s a unique ‘force majeure’ an ‘act of God,’ Customers didn’t cancel on you. You should make 100 percent refunds to all that request it and just hope people might use you next year.

This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Rick.

David, April 22, 2020 at 6:38 pm

Bubba, you could offer a real refund for people that need it. They didn’t cancel the event. The normal refund policy doesn’t apply.

It would be great if people like you weren’t part of RAGBRAI any longer. A number of other charters have been far more generous under these circumstances.

Bubba, April 22, 2020 at 7:28 pm

I was simply responding to this persons post regarding the original policy. The original policy quickly put together due to incoming emails. Admittlt, I should have given more thought. That’s on me. I have since modified the policy after having time to reflect.
This said, it does not change the fact thst it was this persons demand that the cancellation policy be enforced. His demand. Not mine. A fact which I could not let stand without exposing the true facts. Honest.

David, April 22, 2020 at 7:36 pm

So for the people that truly need a refund and not a credit transfer, you plan to do so?

Even if his request was for the refund policy to be enforced. A good faith interpretation of the request is that he is in a situation where a full refund is proper and a transfer of credit is not practical.

Luv 2 Ski, April 22, 2020 at 7:58 pm

Bubba,

Your explanation is no different than what I understood from Trykeman’s posts. Your “refund” policy is just a credit towards another ride. To me that is not a refund that is just a credit. Two very different things. You can wordsmith all you want but your cancelation policy minus $300.00 is what I would call a refund.

Under normal circumstances, I may be able to understand your position with this man but in this instance, I do not. RAGBARI was canceled by RAGBARI management and this person had no control over that.

I hope the $300.00 you keep from every rider who wants cash instead of a credit is worth it. I feel taking this stand will definitely hurt your business long term.

Reeves Hicks, April 22, 2020 at 8:51 pm

I Booked with Brancel…and they have offered 3 Options 1. Rollover to the next year 2.Complete refund. 3. Complete refund minus a 20 dollars for their expenses so far. Obviously I could have taken the full refund, but was very impressed with how prompt they responded to my questions. I took the third option, and am totally cool with them keeping 20 bucks for their efforts in this. I cannot speak highly enough of Brancel, and hope to use them again.

Derek Eilderts, April 22, 2020 at 8:58 pm

Devils advocate here – Ragbrai XLVIII is not cancelled but postponed to 2021. In theory Bubba could use that angle to avoid giving full refunds. But since Bubba references that Ragbrai 2020 is cancelled it appears he’s not using that approach.

Reality is this is a unique situation that calls for full refunds for downpayments on Ragbrai 2020. Let 2020 be what it is (not happening) and 2021 be a completely separate transaction if Bubba’s customers so desire.

Jboz, April 22, 2020 at 8:58 pm

Bubba – this is actually very simple. If a person paid for your charter services on RAGBRAI, that ride is now cancelled, and that person would like to have a full refund…is your answer YES or NO?

Bluntly, your answer (or non-answer) will determine whether or not you will stay in business, so think very carefully.

And I really hope this is all a big misunderstanding and your answer is YES, because it’s the right thing to do and I assume you are a decent person and a smart businessman. And also because I want to do the Southern Tier with your outfit in the spring.

BarryTantlinger, April 22, 2020 at 9:12 pm

It appears that Bubba is the one not honoring his contract if he fails to provides come July. His policy his that if a rider cancels prior to May 20, the rider will be charged a $300 fee. He appears the party who is cancelling, however. Had I planned to ride with him, I would be happy to fly to Florida to take him to small claims court.

There must be some lawyers here – force majeure must provide some protection for both parties here.

That said, Brancel and PBV seem to be making good on refunds if requested. I wonder what the rest of the charters are doing…

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015