Bubba’s Pampered Peddlers

I reserved with Bubba for Ragbrai. His cancellation policy is $300. He offered a 100% credit toward a future ride but or else the cancellation policy would kick in. I could not commit to Ragbrai 2021 at this time so I was charged the $300. I posted a bad review on his Facebook Page. The following was his response.

At time of registration, this person signed a contract which plainly stated the refund policy. Also stayed in the refund policy is the need for trip insurance. Instead of only enforcing that policy, a 100% credit for future events was also offered. This person requested the refund policy he agreed to when registering.
As for future events, there are several to choose from within weeks of the event which was cancelled and the credit extends into 2021 which will include numerous events.

You can decide who is right. I will have no further comment on it.

39 Replies

Mike Howe, April 23, 2020 at 12:16 am

Given more thought? Seems to me you had plenty of time to think about how you would handle questions, demands, refunds, etc. You knew that there was a very very very good chance Ragbrai would be cancelled/postponed this year. Its not like it came out of nowhere. Sounds like excuses or an extreme lack of planning, forthought, and understanding to me.

SFC JKL 2, April 23, 2020 at 1:09 am

If it makes you feel any better, I have $3k in IOU’s from a trip I booked to Europe back in November. I doubt if I will be able to use any of them.

klkoopman, April 23, 2020 at 7:48 am

When “Iowa’s Ride” was formed Bubba’s raced over to the new ride, evidently fine with forgoing RAGBRAI. When that ride’s date was changed, they were in a great position to service both rides. Several people on this forum claimed they signed up for both weeks. When the “other” ride finally faces reality and cancels, Bubba’s better figure out if the cancellation penalty for 2 weeks is $600.

KenH, April 23, 2020 at 7:55 am

These are not normal times, these are times when we must give each other all the help that we can so that we can all get through this. Every night the evening news is awash with politicians spinning their stories and almost without exception I am unimpressed with all of them. The one exception is Chicago’s mayor Lori Lightfoot. I am not a Chicagoan and I am not a Democrat. But she has been a beacon of wisdom in a dark, dark night. Then one day she decided to go against everything she has been preaching and get her hair done. And then she made a particularly lame defense of this when the story broke. She made a mistake. Big time. And I do not believe she has addressed it properly even now.

But I am still more impressed with her than with any of her peers. People make mistakes. We can forgive them.

The rider did not cancel his RAGBRAI plans. But, Bubba did not cancel them either. Nor did the Register. RAGBRAI has been delayed. Bubba has a contract with riders to provide services during RAGBRAI XLVIII and it sounds like he fully intends to honor that contract. But in these exceptional times the ride has been delayed by a year. It’s not Bubba’s doing. Bubba has a cancellation policy that was clearly stated in the beginning and which the rider signed off on. Now the rider wants to cancel his contract and Bubba wants to hold him to his agreement. This is all above board, neither the rider nor Bubba is doing anything wrong. But the rider is complaining about something he has no right to complain about.

Bubba’s policy is different from those adopted by other charters. They may all be different from each other for all I know. But it is fair. Could it be different? Sure, and maybe he will change it in the wake of all this complaining. But I think you are being unfair to Bubba. If you want to speak up on behalf of this rider, who may desperately need these funds during this crisis, then do so without trashing Bubba. And remember this: Bubba is a person who is suffering now too and Bubba has employees who will suffer during this crisis. Bubba wants to do all he can to to help them, I would imagine. Keeping your reservation on file with Bubba and letting him hold your funds will help him and his employees weather this storm. So do that, if you can.

For the sake of those who cannot afford to do that right now I hope that Bubba will adjust his cancellation policy. But I am asking him to consider that, not demanding that he do so or threatening him in any way if he does not.

For the record I do not know Bubba and he does not know me. He is not paying me to say any of this and I have not run it past him in advance, he is reading it here for the first time just like the rest of you. I have never done business with him but I certainly would consider doing business with him in the future. These are difficult times and I am just making some suggestions about how we can ALL cooperate to get through them together.

Rick, April 23, 2020 at 7:58 am

In an effort to help Bubba get the word out on his policies (and fine print?) I’m looking for chat and forums on his upcoming ventures like GAPCO etc. that still face COVID cancellation likelihood. The ‘Pampered Peddlers’ seem to have a few rides coming up.

Been looking at Adventure Cycling Association (ACA) and crazyguyonabike.com so far, any ideas? It’s only fair to help Bubba get the word out!

This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Rick.

jelly0317, April 23, 2020 at 8:54 am

Ken, I would suggest that you stick to engineering topics and leave Contract Law to the lawyers. You are clearly mistaken, as a Small Claims Court would rule in the Plaintiff’s favor should an action be filed. To avoid payment of Court costs, I would advise Bubba to issue refunds immediately. That does not constitute legal advice, however, since my license to practice law in Iowa expired on April 1st of this year following my retirement.

mootsman, April 23, 2020 at 9:36 am

Bubba is actually getting his own cancellation policy wrong. He states he keeps $300 if the RIDER cancels before May 20th. Obviously the riders did not cancel. Nothing in any charters contract addresses what happens if RAGBRAI is cancelled. And if you think just changing 48 to next year when RAGBRAI was going to happen anyway gives him an out you need to take a contract law class. Other charters like PBV did the right thing and give a 100% refund option as did RAGBRAI itself. Bubba wants $300 for nothing. RAGBRAI should ban his charter unless he does the right thing also.

This situation when something is not specifically addressed in the contract would be resolved in favor of the party contracting for the service, the rider. Bubba should check that out with his lawyer and not hold back that detail from his lawyer.

This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by mootsman.

Rick, April 23, 2020 at 9:58 am

It appears that Bubba was originally relying on two false options: accept a 300 penalty or ‘receive a “refund” in the form of performance next year. Of course there is no “refund” and Bubba apparently disingenuously claims the original poster then chose to pursue Bubba’s ‘refund’ option, which of course is untenable and likely illegal. He chose to further cloud up the issue by invoking his ‘honesty’ but actually casting a dishonest image to the aggrieved party. IMHO Bubba should not be permitted to outfit for RAGBRAI in the future. Doing the ‘right thing’ out of duress, we don’t need.

Bubba, April 23, 2020 at 10:41 am

Everyone is missing an important point. It was this person who ask thst the cancellation policy be enforced. The cancellation policy was not even considered an option in the orginsl policy. I did not nor was there any intentions to enforce the cancellation policy. It was his request.

Jboz, April 23, 2020 at 11:21 am

Hi Bubba – I’m going to try to help you here.

This isn’t about the original poster and whatever miscommunication you two may have had. Lots of people here are very confused, and your subsequent posts aren’t making things easier. Two simple suggestions:

1. Set aside for a moment the one individual you spoke to, and for all your other current and future customers…clear up here on this forum whether or not every person who gave you money for RAGBRAI 2020 will get a refund if they request one.

2. Whoever wrote the copy on your website seems to have decent written communication skills. Have that person update your web page with details of how you will handle refund requests for RAGBRAI 2020. Looks like the page was recently updated with the postponement of RAGBRAI until 2021, so it would appear that someone is making updates. Refund policy and process is a pretty important update to provide…otherwise this will get out of hand and your business reputation will have a very hard time recovering.

You need to do both of these ASAP. I hope you take this in the spirit it was given.

garywilk, April 23, 2020 at 11:46 am

These are difficult times and no one is winning. The ride was postponed and the rider wants the money back. Bubba did not postpone the ride, Ragbrai did but really mother nature if that is it. Bubba will still supply the services when the ride takes place or willing to switch it to another ride which seems fair. I have used Bubba in the past and they are a great service. I agree with KenH on this. I am sure with all the postponed rides, Bubba is loosing bigtime and so are many others not just for this ride but many others. I think there will be a few going bankrupt and there will be some not getting any money back from others. I know not everyone will agree with this but they are doing what they can. Please give Bubba and others a fair shake.

David, April 23, 2020 at 11:58 am

There is a difference between giving Bubba a fair shake, and Bubba choosing to enforce his normal cancelation policy for someone that can’t reasonably expect to plan a 2021 trip due to a cancer diagnosis.

Personally, I am pre-paying services for next year. Still paying individual businesses like my dog agility trainer/facility even though it is shut down. I completely encourage everyone to support all the businesses with cashflow however they can.

At the same time. For someone that really needs a refund and can’t plan on attending next year, to enforce the normal cancelation is despicable. Bubba should be ashamed.

mootsman, April 23, 2020 at 12:31 pm

We get what you are claiming Bubba but it is not relevant and we don’t agree. When a circumstance not referenced in the contract (RAGBRAI canceled) causes the contract to be un-executable, the entire contract is voided with neither party being to blame. When that happens EVERYONE goes back to the state when the contract didn’t exist. So Bubba’s does not take people across Iowa in July 2020 and the riders get 100% of their fees returned. That is the law, like it or not. And that May 20th $300 if the rider cancels statement being part of the contract is also voided as is the entire contract. You can’t selectively enforce part of an un-executed contract to benefit to the tune of $300 per rider. Talk it over with your lawyer. But that clause does NOT refer to what happens if RAGBRAI is cancelled anyway. Do the right thing by the law like the other charters.

This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by mootsman.

@Trykeman, April 23, 2020 at 1:32 pm

When I started this thread I said I would have no further comment. I break that to say that Bubba has decided to offer a 100% REFUND to anyone that requests it. This episode has not been pleasant for anyone involved. Let us all hope that Ragbrai 2021 goes much smoother than 2020. Ride On!

Jboz, April 23, 2020 at 1:36 pm

Good resolution. Thanks for this update.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015