Buying a new sleeping bag.

Was curious what kind of sleeping bag people use? Or what EN or Temperature rating number their bag is? Last year I expected it to be warmer at night so I brought a sheet and I ended up being cold. I’m buying a new sleeping bag to take this year. Was looking at the Kelty Cosmic 20 or 40.

12 Replies

Mitchell Kreps, March 21, 2018 at 3:09 pm

Check out the underground quilts Bandit, many different options in getting exactly what you want. I’d recommend a 30 degree quilt and if its too hot just don’t use the elastic bands to make it wrap around you and use it as a blanket. High fill down packs down super small and is super light. I have a regular sized one (72″) that is rated at 40 degrees and has elastic and snaps with 800 fill down. It is ridiculously awesome in space saving and warmth during the summer months.

Ragbrai Nation, March 21, 2018 at 6:00 pm

Something designed to be backpacked and for slightly-cold weather use. That will get you all the warmth u need, if u need it. Most nights you won’t. It should be light weight and compact. I use a dense foam, foldable sleep pad to roll the bag out on. I use a folded sweatshirt or towel for a pillow. Zzzzzzzz!

BillSpriggs, March 21, 2018 at 7:58 pm

I’ve used an inexpensive fleece sleeping bag liner with a sheet. If it is warm the sheet is usually enough, if it is cooler the liner seems to be fine.

John Richardson, March 22, 2018 at 11:20 am

In 2004 the last time RAGBRAI started at Onawa it got down to a chilly 47 degrees and while that’s certainly a rare occurrence on RAGBRAI, my fleece blanket was not enough.

SFC JKL 2, March 22, 2018 at 7:02 pm

I uses a fleece bag and a sheet. If it’s hot, use the sheet on top of the fleece. If it’s cool, use the fleece. If it’s cold, put the sheet inside the fleece. My question would be how much you plan on using the sleeping bag besides this one week?

Aaron Norgrant, March 22, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Last year was my first year, slept in a tent with my two sons and used a sheet and a blanket…..as my wife would say “you are a furnace”…..i’m always hot. This year my wife is going along as support to the support driver and we will be sleeping in the gooseneck/tack room of my dad’s horse trailer while my dad and best buddy/support driver sleep in the back of the trailer…..should be an awesome time. Going to be interesting if it is cool or warm in the trailer, I know how aluminum is in cool weather.

Aaron

Brian Wallenburg, March 23, 2018 at 6:09 pm

We stayed in a trailer two years ago in Glenwood. No air, I will never do it again. It was a terrible experience. Lost so much hydration during the night, had to play catch up all day, which sucks! It was like sleeping in a very large slow-cooker. No air-conditioning = sleep outside!

Aaron Norgrant, March 23, 2018 at 7:07 pm

Brian,

Not quite what I wanted to hear. I guess we will see what happens….maybe leaving the door open and the windows open will be sufficient enough. If not I will be bringing my big tent and cots just in case.

Aaron

Kelly Puster, March 23, 2018 at 8:19 pm

Here’s what I’m doing this year: Eddie Bauer packable down throw and Klymit Static V2 sleeping pad.

FastEddy, March 24, 2018 at 1:04 pm

I’m very happy with my REI “Travel Sack” sleeping bag.
It’s only rated to 55’F. Over the last 5 or 6 RAGBRAI’s it’s all I’ve needed.

montestaples, March 26, 2018 at 12:25 pm

For 12 years I have used a bag rated down to 40 degrees. It has always been fine. On really hot nights I just lay on top of it. On a few nights when the heat index was near 100 degrees I used my water bottle to dampen a camp towel, the kind you can wring out almost dry. Sleeping under it, the evaporation worked like a little AC.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015