The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Ca. Riders planning 4 days out and 3 back.

Hey Iowa riders. This is our third RAGBRI and we thought it would be fun to ride to Centerville and then back to our car with panniers as we enjoy self sufficient cross country rides. We also avoid the long drive back to our vehicle. I have a couple questions. How is the wabash trace trail with road tires? Can anyone advise the least traveled ( by cars ) route west. And would anyone that lives on that route mind if we camped in their yard for the night 60 miles or so west of Centerville. Thanks for any input. Biff

2 Replies

John Richardson, April 20, 2019 at 8:59 am

I rode the Wabash Trace last Spring on 28C road tires and they were fine. Due to all the wet weather this Winter I’ve heard it isn’t in the best condition now but ride-able and by late July it should be great. To map out a route with the least traffic count I’d suggest that you acquire a Iowa Bicycle Map. It is free and a excellent resource for route planing. There is a small campground on the Wabash Trace at Imogene with showers and another campground at Fogle Lake near Diagonal also with showers. I’ve only camped in a yard once but as long as you ask permission and leave no trace I don’t think you’ll have any problem. Best of luck with your adventure.

Biff Baker, April 20, 2019 at 9:22 am

Thanks for the info it was very helpful. I am on 28 s. I found that map also. Thanks. See you out there.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014