Register for day passes through June 1, 2022!

Campground Question

I looked at some of the host town websites, and a lot of them have “campground reservation” sections. I thought “free” campgrounds were part of the regular RAGBRAI event if you are a registered rider. I understand that some companies (like Pork Belly) have their own campgrounds/meal plans, etc. for a fee, but do I need to reserve a campsite every night on my own if I’m not using one of those services?

6 Replies

RDaryl Daryl, May 3, 2018 at 9:50 pm

The final main RAGBRAI luggage truck campground locations will be announced in July. This is included in your registration along with official luggage transport. Official RAGBRAI arrows along the route will lead you to the official camp each night.
Charters will have their own directional arrows to their specific camps. Yup, light poles will be littered with multiple unique directional arrows in the overnight towns.
Host town maps will be released in due time. . . . .

John Richardson, May 4, 2018 at 7:57 am

Very good information R-Daryl Daryl! The only issue I’ve had is that there are so many teams these days that some of their arrows resemble the RAGBRAI arrows or they get covered up by the team arrows. Many times I’ve just ended up looking for the baggage truck and their colorful flags.

DenBiker, May 4, 2018 at 8:43 am

The simple answer to your question is NO you do not need to make a reservation to camp in the main RAGBRAI campground. Just follow the arrows to the baggage trucks – the campground will be nearby.

Sarah Angerer, May 4, 2018 at 8:54 am

My understanding (which is limited–I’m new to this too!) is that the camping requests on the town websites are for space separate from the main, official RAGBRAI campgrounds. Filling out one of the forms would (possibly, space available, all the usual caveats) allow you to set up your tent in someone’s front or backyard. The benefits to this are knowing in advance exactly where you will be staying on those nights, and having the opportunity to connect with local residents.

jwsknk, May 4, 2018 at 9:30 am

my guess is that the campground reservation sections are where the towns have or will measure out certain sixed plots of land for teams and charters. At one time a heard the formula used was 10 sq ft per tent. So if the group has 80 tents, thats a large piece of real estate. The main campground where the semis will be are a total free for all, pitch a tent where you can find space. If you fill out a request form, the town tries to match you with a host family, could be either yard camping or inside. Sometimes that can be quite a ways from where the semi drops the bags

Linda Wiard-Bauer, May 15, 2018 at 12:00 pm

Find the baggage truck. Nearby there will be some sort of field or lawn – find an empty patch and set up you tent! No individual “sites” to reserve, just a field for tents.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI